Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Live in Highland Park, send to YNJ?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:20 pm
Does anyone do this? We want to send to YNJ but dh would rather live in Highland Park or Edison than Teaneck. However, I'm unimpressed with the schools available there, so if YNJ is not really doable, that's a deal breaker. I'm talking strictly about the commute (is it really bad) and do enough people do it that there's a van or would figuring out transportation be a big headache. My kids already don't see their school friends on Shabbos and don't have that many play dates, so we don't view that as such a big deal.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:44 pm
You can consider Passaic or Clifton, people definitely send to YNJ from Passaic/Clifton and there are multiple carpools.

Highland Park/Edison is definitely a huge schlep.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:58 pm
I don't know specifically about YNJ, but plenty of people in the area send to the various Bergen County schools. You could ask at YNJ if there is a group from Edison/HP and how they get to school.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:27 pm
My kids are at RYNJ. I just went through the directory quickly, and there are no families from Highland Park. It's a very long drive from that area. There are vans that come from there to Frisch, TABC and Ma'ayanot, but not the elementary schools. Families are mainly from Northern NJ towns, including Fairlawn, Passaic and Clifton, as well as Rockland County and Riverdale NY.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:06 pm
My kids go to YNJ and my husband works near Highland Park. He would love to move there for his commute, but we didn't because of the schools. The commute would be about 1- 1/2 hrs each way. It's rough for an adult, so I can't see doing that for a child.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:20 pm
Do you mean an hour and a half each way, or 45 minutes each way (so hour and a half total)? The latter isn't that bad. Plenty of kids who live close to school but take the bus essentially have a 45 minute "commute". But if no one else does it, it would be logistically impossible for us to get them there (as opposed to, say, 5 or 6 other families, where they chip in for a van or something). So annoyed with how few options there are. There are a million yeshivas in NJ, but only a few of them are any good :-(

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:50 pm
That's funny. my relative lives in highland park and I remember her saying she knows families that send to ynj. Maybe I got it wrong. Maybe those people weren't from edison.

egam

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
Do you mean an hour and a half each way, or 45 minutes each way (so hour and a half total)? The latter isn't that bad. Plenty of kids who live close to school but take the bus essentially have a 45 minute "commute". But if no one else does it, it would be logistically impossible for us to get them there (as opposed to, say, 5 or 6 other families, where they chip in for a van or something). So annoyed with how few options there are. There are a million yeshivas in NJ, but only a few of them are any good :-(

It's about an hour each way without traffic. With traffic it can easily be hour and a half each way.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:47 pm
My Dh is from that area and went to rpry. I went to ynj and there was no one from that far south.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating