Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My precocious adolescent daughter is so moody!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 8:52 pm
My daughter is going through some serious changes. She is only 9 years old but has started to develop. She is so moody, cranky, bossy. She used to be so cheerful but now the mood swings are killing us!

I know this happens, but was expecting it a little later, like 11. Because she is only 9, she does not have the emotional maturity to deal with all these tweenage angst feelings.

We might take her to a social worker if the routine of school does not improve things. Meanwhile, are there any good booKS for a girl to understand her feelings at this age? We know about the Magic of Becoming You. Or any other eitzas from those who have been there?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:26 pm
I am not sure if this is what you want to hear.... But last year, we ended up putting DS (now 11) on Prozac. It has made a huge difference in his mood.
I dont have any specific books to reccomend, but browse around on Amazon for suggestions on diet changes. Of course, definetly try therapy before rushing to medication--- we found that DS could not internalize the skills he was learning in therapy without the Prozac, but obviously, that's just one person.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:33 pm
Thank you - we are not against meds but we are not to that point yet. But definitely on the table

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 11:46 pm
I'm a big fan of art therapy at that age. Puberty, and all the feelings that go with it, can be very hard to put into words. Being able to draw it out, with proper guidance, can be a real eye opener.

In the meantime, be as sympathetic as you can. Tell her about some of the hard times when you were a tween, and how your hormones were all over the place. She needs to hear that you understand her, and that you know how she feels.

I made a pact with DD, "You be patient with me, and I'll be patient with you. It won't be easy, but we can get through this together!"

Most importantly, don't let this become a power struggle. Keep "teaming" with her, and let her know that you are on her side, and that you know it's hard. Tell her that you would do anything to take away this stage in her life, but it's totally normal, and that all tweens have to go through it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children