Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tongue tied
1  2  Next

muss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 2:30 pm
My baby has it and the doctor said she'll only cut it if it's affecting nursing. It's not but I would like to hear your experience with it. I'm still wondering if I should do it because maybe it would affect her later on. Anyone didn't do it and child was affected later on by it?

tryinghard

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 2:37 pm
I did do it for both my kids, and I actually think they didn't cut it enough, because nursing was really painful for a really long time. I have tongue-tie myself which was never cut, and I did not suffer for it.

rachaelle

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 3:31 pm
In some cases, if the frenulum is very short it can cause some problems with articulation- speech delays, consonant distortions..
But I wouldn't worry about it now

naomi2

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 4:19 pm
please cut it. it is so so quick and easy and prevents speech and eating problems. waiting for the child to get older will mean a more traumatic cutting. speak to speech therapists and ent s, not pediatricians.

happy1234

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 5:22 pm
I did it for my 2 kids. Cut it. It could affect speech and feeding later on.

muss

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:21 pm
What does it take to get it done? Is it very painful?. Debating what to do. Is it worth it to put a baby through it if it's possibly not needed

happy1234

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 6:25 pm
They put them under for 10-15 min and that's it. I don't think it was painful. I remember my kids crying when they woke up but it was a very fast procedure.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 7:24 pm
happy1234 wrote:
They put them under for 10-15 min and that's it. I don't think it was painful. I remember my kids crying when they woke up but it was a very fast procedure.

This was not my experience with either kid. It was literally less than 60 seconds, no pain meds needed cuz there are no nerves there. Baby cried because of being held still, discomfort of tools/hands in the mouth, but the second the ENT finished, it was all over as far as the baby was concerned. Really not a big deal.

happy1234

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 7:29 pm
tryinghard wrote:
This was not my experience with either kid. It was literally less than 60 seconds, no pain meds needed cuz there are no nerves there. Baby cried because of being held still, discomfort of tools/hands in the mouth, but the second the ENT finished, it was all over as far as the baby was concerned. Really not a big deal.

Mine were put out because we didn't know they were tongue tied till later. One we did at 6 months and the second at 9 months. I was furious that my pediatrician never pointed it out to us.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 7:30 pm
My son was mildly tongue-tied, but I consulted with my pediatrician when he was about two to see if he needed it cut. I was worried about a speech impediment.

She told me that you can tell if a child is tongue-tied by having them stick out their tongue. If it the end of the tongue forms a heart shape, they are tongue-tied.

His was very mild; she said some children have a very noticeable heart shape, and those ones require the snip. My son, however, she felt did not need a snip.

We've had no problems whatsoever. I am very happy I never had them cut it.

He speaks beautifully.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 10:07 pm
rachaelle wrote:
In some cases, if the frenulum is very short it can cause some problems with articulation- speech delays, consonant distortions..
But I wouldn't worry about it now

ok may I ask you a question about this:

My dd was told she had tongue tied as a baby but for various reasons we did not snip it. Nursing was totally fine and not painful at all. so we figured it's fine. However, now as a 7 year old she still has some articulation errors. I am feeling so guilty and terrible about it, that it's because of the tongue tie. Can it be??
She can't say 'sh' instead she says 's'. And for 'r' she says 'w'. I think by 7 those should be gone no?
What can I do about it now, and is there a way to know forsure if it's caused by the tongue tie (that would just be for my guilt feelings)

thanks!!

RachaelLeah

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 10:13 pm
Please get it cut now. It is so much easier and less painful to the child now rather than later. All my children were and still are tongue-tied; 2 had serious feeding problems as babies, 3 have heavy speech impediments now. I found this all out when my youngest had serious feeding issues immediately after birth, and I found a super-amazing lactation consultant who helped me with all the issues and getting the tongue-tie cut. And she checked all my older kids and explained how their feeding and speech issues are most probably because of the tongue-tie. So now I have more tongues to cut, and they're so much older now it's going to be such an invasive procedure for them now... Had I known when they were babies I would have cut them in a heartbeat.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 10:58 pm
It's always best to get tongue ties and lip ties cut. They can cause issues later in life, even into adulthood. If you want to know more about that talk to a reputable Lactation Consultant.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 12:12 am
We cut our babies tongue tie when he was 1.5. He has low muscle tone, and since then he has been choking in his tongue in he's sleep, because his muscles are too weak to hold it forward in his sleep.
I regret cutting it, but I would still advise you to go through with it as our case is not the norm.

rachaelle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 12:59 am
amother wrote:
ok may I ask you a question about this:

My dd was told she had tongue tied as a baby but for various reasons we did not snip it. Nursing was totally fine and not painful at all. so we figured it's fine. However, now as a 7 year old she still has some articulation errors. I am feeling so guilty and terrible about it, that it's because of the tongue tie. Can it be??
She can't say 'sh' instead she says 's'. And for 'r' she says 'w'. I think by 7 those should be gone no?
What can I do about it now, and is there a way to know forsure if it's caused by the tongue tie (that would just be for my guilt feelings)

thanks!!

Hi! I don't think those articulation errors are related to the tongue tie. The /sh/ and /s/ sounds are both produced by touching the tip of the tongue to the roof of the mouth. So if she can say /s/, then the problem with /sh/ is unrelated to the tongue tie. (It's interesting however, that most children have a harder time with /s/ than /sh/)

As for the /r/ sound, just know that it is considered the hardest consonant to produce! There is a wide range for when children begin to produce the /r/ correctly, and can even take until 8 years old to perfect. However, I agree that at age 7 it is normal to begin to be concerned about the development of the /r/.

I would advise you to arrange for a speech evaluation to allay your concerns/begin to receive services for your daughter. You can mention the tongue tie during the eval to rule it out for certain. Good luck!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 8:41 am
rachaelle wrote:
Hi! I don't think those articulation errors are related to the tongue tie. The /sh/ and /s/ sounds are both produced by touching the tip of the tongue to the roof of the mouth. So if she can say /s/, then the problem with /sh/ is unrelated to the tongue tie. (It's interesting however, that most children have a harder time with /s/ than /sh/)

As for the /r/ sound, just know that it is considered the hardest consonant to produce! There is a wide range for when children begin to produce the /r/ correctly, and can even take until 8 years old to perfect. However, I agree that at age 7 it is normal to begin to be concerned about the development of the /r/.

I would advise you to arrange for a speech evaluation to allay your concerns/begin to receive services for your daughter. You can mention the tongue tie during the eval to rule it out for certain. Good luck!

When producing the /Sh/ sound the tongue must be shaped concave against the roof of the mouth, while when creating the /s/ sound, if the tongue is stuck in the bottom teeth, the sound still comes out.

I am not an SLP but I just tried it, and it worked. Based on that, it seems like it is very much related.

rachaelle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:11 am
The /s/ is produced when the tongue tip contacts the alveolar ridge (most anterior portion of the palate). I'm puzzled how you managed to produce the /s/ with your tongue in the downward position. It must have sounded very distorted!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 12:55 pm
rachaelle wrote:
The /s/ is produced when the tongue tip contacts the alveolar ridge (most anterior portion of the palate). I'm puzzled how you managed to produce the /s/ with your tongue in the downward position. It must have sounded very distorted!

Try it. It's not the tip that is touching. Try to make the s sound when you tongue is stuck behind your lower teeth. Then try to amke the Sh sound that way.

naomi2

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 3:13 pm
I forgot to mention that the pronunciation of the letter L is usually affected and maybe even kissing, later on. The " procedure" took 10 seconds in the ent office. And my baby was awake.

rachaelle

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
Try it. It's not the tip that is touching. Try to make the s sound when you tongue is stuck behind your lower teeth. Then try to amke the Sh sound that way.

Tried again. Sounds terribly distorted! Are you sure that your tongue isn't moving to the normal position while you're saying the sound?

Maybe it works for you. Anything's possible! Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics