Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any one canceling their trip to miami cuz of zika?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:07 pm
We planned to take our kids to miami labor day weekend & getting really nervous of traveling with all this news abt the infestation of zika in miami. Im not pregnant but is it still unsafe to go?
My baby is 9 months old.
Any one cancelling a trip to miami?

Fabulous

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:13 pm
They say it is unlikely to incubate for more than 6 months so if you do not plan to go off bc for at least 6 months and wear spray, I would go

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 18 2016, 8:14 pm
Cancelled

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 9:19 am
I cancelled my trip. I am 12 weeks pg. I was scheduled to visit family next week. I am sending my kids as unaccompanied minors without me.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 10:44 am
They say it already spread to Miami Beach.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:33 am
I wouldn't worry about Zika which has been around for many decades. I would cancel my trip to Miami to avoid the pesticides they're spraying all over the place which are known to cause birth defects. The irony.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn't worry about Zika which has been around for many decades. I would cancel my trip to Miami to avoid the pesticides they're spraying all over the place which are known to cause birth defects. The irony.

Zika had been around for many decades. But not in Florida. I'm not sure why that makes you worry less.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 1:19 pm
I'm going. I will be around 8 weeks. Not worried at all.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 1:24 pm
I'm not cancelling.

I am not pregnant or TTC anytime soon.

We will use spray etc

I would cancel if I was pregnant or TTC

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:

I think you should worry. First trimester is the most severe. They found a case already from Miami Beach. It will only spread. Is it really worth the risk?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 2:26 pm
My dh was planning a business trip and was told not to go b/c we are ttc.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 2:29 pm
Right. It can stay in the sperm up to 6 months.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:

U really should worry. U are at the prime stage to be concerned. I hope everything goes well for you

heightsmom

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 5:19 pm
CDC says pregnant women should not travel to Miami Beach

chica

Post Fri, Aug 19 2016, 7:12 pm
The Happy Wife wrote:
Zika had been around for many decades. But not in Florida. I'm not sure why that makes you worry less.

Because in the 60 years zika has been around they have never associated it with birth defects.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Aug 20 2016, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:

The CDC has just expanded their travel warning to Miami Beach. See link for more info- https://www.washingtonpost.com.....each/

I can't understand why anyone who is pregnant or will be trying to conceive within the next 6 months would go to Miami Beach unless absolutely necessary. It seems very irresponsible to put your unborn baby at risk for brain damage and the other effects of Zika in fetuses.

Amarante

Post Sat, Aug 20 2016, 9:31 pm
Interesting article in today's NY Times on the extreme measures pregnant women are taking to protect themselves and an interview with an ob/gym in terms of what he is doing. There are evidently in utero diagnoses which aren't foolproof but can offer some insight into whether there is an abnormality.

Also - and this is completely in the first stages of research - there are brain cells in adults that may be impacted because they are similar to fetal brain cells.

I don't know how any pregnant woman would deliberately visit Miami unless there was no alternative.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Aug 20 2016, 11:04 pm
Dr. Shanik a top and famous pediatrician in Lakewood for many years issued a warning for no man or woman in childbearing years to go to Florida including Orlando.

Zika is still new and right now they are saying six months. In a month they might come out you have to wait a year to conceive why would you take that risk? And especially pregnant how negligent can you be?

It's like the single moms who take drugs while they are pregnant and then shocked they harmed their babies after baby is born.

Amarante

Post Sat, Aug 20 2016, 11:10 pm
I wanted to add that there must have been such pressure in terms of economics NOT to issue such a warning since tourism is a huge business in Florida, that anyone who fails to heed is IMHO reckless. How could one live with oneself if the worst were to happen. It's terrible enough for those who live there but to deliberately go there. 😱😱😱

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Aug 20 2016, 11:21 pm
By the time that cdc puts out a warning not to travel to Florida they had concern for over a month but they are not going to put out a warning until they are 100 percent sure. that's why smart people are avoiding Florida completely.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics