Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Self-made successful women, here, with no college degree?
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:20 am
Any self-made (financially) successful women, here, with no college degree, who are earning the same or more money as those with degrees?

I think lots of us would be inspired to hear about it.

How did you come up with your idea?

How long did you work at it, for you to start making real profit?

How do you compete with others who try to do the same as you do?

TIA

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 8:05 am
No college degree here. I work as an insurance broker so only needed to pass my broker licensing exam. I work part time but if I'd do more hours id be making what ppl with degrees do. Also if id solicit more which I don't like to do id be getting more commission but I work for someone so soliciting new clients is not my job.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 8:50 am
No degree. I'd get one for my own intellectual development but I have no time.
Started a business with DH.
Yes I earn more than I would with a degree. Much more & after several years there was flexibility I wouldn't have working in a profession.
Took 5 years to turn a profit .
But it's no picnic. I work hard. I don't take sick days unless I'm really really sick with a high fever.
I'm always working either in the business or on it.
BUT, the financial rewards are there as is the flexibility for my kids,
One day I may get that degree but not for parnossa .

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
No degree. I'd get one for my own intellectual development but I have no time.
Started a business with DH.
Yes I earn more than I would with a degree. Much more & after several years there was flexibility I wouldn't have working in a profession.
Took 5 years to turn a profit .
But it's no picnic. I work hard. I don't take sick days unless I'm really really sick with a high fever.
I'm always working either in the business or on it.
BUT, the financial rewards are there as is the flexibility for my kids,
One day I may get that degree but not for parnossa .

Would you be willing to share what sort of business you started?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:17 am
heidi wrote:

Yes, just telling us about your hard work and success doesnt really clarify anything.

How did you come up with your idea? What type of idea was it?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:25 am
heidi wrote:

It's pretty much importing from China & selling. It's obviously a specific line not adhoc. There's marketing , websites, travel to the Expo's in China as well as exhibiting products to sell locally.
Business has turned me from a shy introvert to the exact opposite. It hasn't changed my personality but it's forced me to push beyond it. I've met amazing people & have expanded my horizons.
It's made me stronger ("sorry I cannot shake your hand"). It's also forced me to be very organised.
I'm not going to say it's easy. But life isn't meant to be easy.
Economy goes up & as we know down.
There have been years with no profit & no money. It's not easy to lay off employees & it's very hard employing frum people.
I know that I have hurt people when firing them & I have lost valuable relationships but that is business and I was not about to open my financial position as to why my action was necessary.
Many times I'd bemoan the headache of staff & clients. Dealing with difficult clients is not for the faint of heart.
But just like the shy component I've had to break through that part of my personality too.
If I'd start over again I'd likely focus on pure internet sales such as Amazon & eBay . Eliminating too much client involvement . There are downsides obviously but it's an easier transition into business in general .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
Yes, just telling us about your hard work and success doesnt really clarify anything.

How did you come up with your idea? What type of idea was it?

DH started buying business magazines (this is before Internet). He came across several business ideas.
The business evolved from one. I did lots of telemarketing in those pre Internet days.
These days things are easier to find .
But a successful business is not easy. There's no such thing as easy money .

tf

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:36 am
Can you give some tips?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:46 am
tf wrote:
Can you give some tips?

Ask away

tf

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:53 am
Dunno what to ask, just wanna do it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:02 am
To see best selling items on eBay & Amazon try
Terapeak.com
Also source suppliers from Alibaba.com
You shouldn't go for the biggest selling items as competition is heavy there.
Find a niche which sells well. Something you take an interest in or something emotional (babies, pets).
Factor in eBay & Amazon costs, do their selling tutorials , get some books on Internet sales & take the plunge.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:04 am
I have a business I don't have a degree. I don't even have a high school diploma. I have a hair & wig business I make more money then I would if I had a part time job. With 2 kids I would not work more then a part time job
When I first started every person I met that I knew at all I would tell them about my business & I gave them my card. (I'm a shy person so that was not easy) It's almost 4 years since I started & BH I'm doing really well.
I think doing something you enjoy makes it so much easier to put all your energy into it. That is how it is for me.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I have a business I don't have a degree. I don't even have a high school diploma. I have a hair & wig business I make more money then I would if I had a part time job. With 2 kids I would not work more then a part time job
When I first started every person I met that I knew at all I would tell them about my business & I gave them my card. (I'm a shy person so that was not easy) It's almost 4 years since I started & BH I'm doing really well.
I think doing something you enjoy makes it so much easier to put all your energy into it. That is how it is for me.

OOC, why don't you have a high school diploma? You never took any beauty school courses?

tf

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:12 am
How do you start? What should I look out for in terms of warning signals to try it differently? What can I do to support my decision? How do you manage money-wise when there's no money?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
OOC, why don't you have a high school diploma? You never took any beauty school courses?

I skipped 12th grade & went to seminary. I did not go to beauty school I did take some classes & I worked for a couple of different hair & wigs stylist.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:17 am
I am a freelance graphic designer. My hourly rate is on average $50/hour. I don't have a degree, but I went to a good art school and have certification. I wouldn't call myself a self-made success but BH my business is growing, and my take-home is more than that of some of my "professional" friends. My over-head is low, and BH dh has a job with good benefits. I make my own schedule- lots of flexibility although the work can pile up if I'm not careful. ☺️

SesameSeeds

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
No college degree here. I work as an insurance broker so only needed to pass my broker licensing exam. I work part time but if I'd do more hours id be making what ppl with degrees do. Also if id solicit more which I don't like to do id be getting more commission but I work for someone so soliciting new clients is not my job.

You work for an insurance brokerage or are you a producer?
I'm in the same line as well so I'm curious. If I may ask, what is your hourly salary?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
I am a freelance graphic designer. My hourly rate is on average $50/hour. I don't have a degree, but I went to a good art school and have certification. I wouldn't call myself a self-made success but BH my business is growing, and my take-home is more than that of some of my "professional" friends. My over-head is low, and BH dh has a job with good benefits. I make my own schedule- lots of flexibility although the work can pile up if I'm not careful. ☺️

Not op, but this is something I'm considering to do. Was it very hard to get started on your own - is there a lot of competition? How did people hear of you? I'm going to a good school for it, but if I don't have any real world experience, would I be able to build up on my own? Is it realistic to hope to make say 25,000 a year working part time after 3 years?

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:47 pm
I work in healthvare and earn a six digit income by working hard, good work ethics, proving I had the knowledge and ability that my colleagues with degrees had and could do the job and purely by the WI'll of God. I'm fortunate and don't take it for granted. I have friends with degrees that are unemployed and friends with no degrees but hardworking earning good incomes. It is possible!!

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
Not op, but this is something I'm considering to do. Was it very hard to get started on your own - is there a lot of competition? How did people hear of you? I'm going to a good school for it, but if I don't have any real world experience, would I be able to build up on my own? Is it realistic to hope to make say 25,000 a year working part time after 3 years?

I was employed for 2 years and have been freelancing for around 3. I decided to start my own business when I realized I could "cut out the middle man" and work on my own. That stage was great experience and was helpful for networking. Now my business comes mostly through word of mouth. I work full-time and make approximately $50-60,000 per year. My goal is to get to 80-100k within the next 2 years, be'ezras Hashem!! I hope to work on larger, higher-priced projects. I think that if you have the right aptitude and are good at the business end too then your salary goal is totally realistic. But yes, there is a lot of good competition.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics