Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling 20 hours with two babies

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:39 am
I'm traveling overseas with an 18 month old and a 2 month old. I'm hoping my baby will be easy and just sleep and eat but how do you keep an 18 month old busy for so long and not drive every one around her crazy?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:08 pm
It will be extremely hard. Wear the baby in carrier so you can chase after your toddler

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 1:59 pm
pesek zman wrote:
It will be extremely hard. Wear the baby in carrier so you can chase after your toddler

I know it would be that's why I want to hear from people that's done it for tips

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:25 pm
Will the older one have a seat?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
Will the older one have a seat?

No it's too expensive and also she'll just want to hang out with us the whole time

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
No it's too expensive and also she'll just want to hang out with us the whole time

Totally understand that but I'm glad to hear that your not traveling alone with those two.
Hope it goes smoothly.you can only pack stuff to entertain him and the rest is not going to be in your hands. Safe travels

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:32 pm
If you have a iPad or similar, it's an ideal thing because children are mesmerized and also because you can load so much on. Books, coloring applications, games, etc. might be worth it to invest it one as there are some relatively inexpensive ones designed for children. Obviously to really good nosh.

And something to help with ears in terms of pressure in cabins changing since many kids have a lot of pain if they don't equalize the pressure on landing and take off.

I also just read an article that some people traveling with children are going out of their way to be nice to their neighbors by actually giving them something. Nothing big but what they have found is that the acknowledgement that you understand they might have to put up with stuff humanize the interaction. In effect, you neutralize them by treating them nicely in a preemptive manner before there is hassle.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:33 pm
Bring benedryl along. Go to the dollar store and stock up on a lot of little activities. That is a hard age!!! Take lots of interesting nosh too.

mfb

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 2:49 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Bring benedryl along. Go to the dollar store and stock up on a lot of little activities. That is a hard age!!! Take lots of interesting nosh too.

Please be careful with benedryl, it can make some kids hyper. I unfortunately had that experience on a long flight with a toddler!!!

studying_torah

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 3:46 pm
Tylenol before takeoff and landing can help with ear pain, so can sucking on a pacifier.
Some ppl let the kids run up and down the aisle, and while I understand it's hard for a toddler to sit, a lot of ppl get annoyed.
Have cds, books, an iPad or laptop with videos that you pre-download. Crayons, coloring books are good too.
Lots of healthy snacks that your kid likes.
Change of underwear and comfy clothes in case of accidents or spills, and a plastic bag to put wet things into.
Wet wipes and sanitizing wipes to clean the seat and tray.
Good luck!

carrot

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 3:49 pm
Interesting idea to bring gifts for people sitting nearby! Like what?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 3:51 pm
So you'll have your Dh with you?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
So you'll have your Dh with you?

Yes

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 5:55 pm
I have heard of ppl who give ear plugs for ppl.sitting near you. I always take a fully charged laptop and DVD player with uncle moishy videos. I also take coloring books and crayons and other arts and crafts.

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 6:25 pm
carrot wrote:
Interesting idea to bring gifts for people sitting nearby! Like what?

Here's an article exploring the phenomenon of gifts as well as there is now a backlash against the so called goodie bags.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08.....?_r=0

https://www.pinterest.com/mels.....deas/

carrot

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 2:33 pm
Cute. I don't think I would do it, but thank you for showing me!

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Dec 02 2016, 2:46 pm
How did it go op? I don't think I would've traveled overseas with kids those ages.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics