Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Eisav Jewish?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 10:58 am
So my 7 yr ols daughter on shabbos asks : "I don't get it, was eisav Jewish?"
How should I respond.
I would like to bring it back up. She got distracted by a friend at door right after she made that comment so I never got to address it.
Anon bc I'm embarrassed that I don't know how to answer

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:00 am
I recall learning that there was no such things as Jews until har sinai and the accepting of the torah

but you might want to look into it a bit more

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:00 am
I think not. No one was Jewish till matan Torah. Tho the avos did keep the mitzvos.

trixx

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 11:35 am
There was no jewish race. Any individual could accept monotheism. (besides the fact that the avos themselves knew torah and mitzvos, practiced them, and taught it to their households but that became a "family thing", each individual still had a choice.)

That's why Avraham was a jew, yishmael wasn't. (hagar did teshuva and he later remarried her as ketura) yaakov was, eisav wasn't. Rivka was the only one out of her entire family that didn't serve idols. Only yaakovs all 12 kids followed in his ways which is why on his deathbed he exclaimed "mitasi shleima" my bed is complete ie I've left no loose ends, my life's work is nachas from all of my kids, I alone of the other avos.

Same in Egypt, besides individually accepting hashem, the only traditions they really kept were language, dress and names. There was nothing "jewish" about them. Only 1/5 of Hebrews even left Egypt, everyone else died in darkness plague.

All this changed at matan torah when we became a nation - now no matter what you do and whether you like it or not, you can't opt out or convert out, you've got jewish DNA from your mother.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Aug 21 2016, 4:31 pm
The Avraham and yitchak each had one child who followed the derech and one who turned away. I see it as a sort of "filtering" process. Until we get to Yaakov Avinu who had all the tribes who became Bnei yisrael. But must of the tribes are lost now and most Jews descend from Yehuda (hence the name "Jew").
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics