Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Governor's island

LO

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 6:38 am
Hi! I am coming from Lakewood to governor's island, and am trying to figure out the best way to get to the ferry. I will have 3 kids with us and all our bikes, so would like to park close by. Is it better to park on the Brooklyn side or Manhattan? Any advice on this would be great because last time we went, parking was def an issue...

Also, are the kosher food trucks still there this year? Which ones?

Thanks!!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 6:45 am
There are only ferries to the island from Brooklyn on Saturdays and Sundays, not during the week.
During the week the only way to get there is via ferry from Manhatten.
I believe the attractions are only open over the weekend, but I could be wrong.
As for the kosher food truck (Schitzie's), it is there every Sunday.

LO

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 7:13 am
Thanks! Is it easier to park on the Brooklyn side or the Manhattan one? That's my main concern, so we do not have to shlep the bikes too far...

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 7:55 am
If you are coming from Lakewood, you can park at the staten island ferry, take the staten island ferry to Manhattan, then the governor's island ferry is one block away.

LO

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 9:05 am
Can you bring bikes on the Staten Island ferry?

sky

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 9:57 am
I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people walk their bikes on the boat.
We've done Staten island ferry to governors island on weekends its a lot of fun.
Not sure how bad parking will be by Staten island ferry on a weekday.
Also it depends on how well your kids will deal with their bikes along the trip. I can't imagine parking on the Manhattan side, its probably expensive\difficult to find parking.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/ht.....shtml
ETA:
Bikes are allowed on the Staten Island Ferry at no charge, and must abide by the Staten Island Ferry rules of conduct for all passengers, and these rules for bicyclists:

Bicyclists must board on the lower level at both the St. George and Whitehall Ferry Terminals.
Bicyclists must dismount and walk their bicycles to the waiting area and when boarding and departing the boat. Stay clear of pedestrians.
All bicycles must be stored in the designated bicycle storage area on the lower level of each vessel.
All passengers are subject to screening upon arrival at the ferry terminals.
Bicycles may not be left on racks on vessels for more than one trip
Bicycles left on outdoor racks for more than 24 hours will be removed.
DOT is not responsible for stolen or damaged bicycles.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:13 am
There are parking garages several blocks from the ferry in Manhattan, no street parking at all.

LO

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:54 am
Thanks everyone!!

LO

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 3:29 pm
By the way - any other food options besides for Schnitzi's? Wasn't there a schwarma truck last year?

reality mom

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 6:54 pm
Ive taken bikes on to the ferry from Brooklyn to Governors Island.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 22 2016, 10:29 pm
Is there anything to do there during the week? (Besides renting bikes/bringing your own)

LO

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 6:48 am
There are great parks. There are also sprinklers I think, but yesterday it said online that they were closed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries