Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do people really tip at camp?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
silly question related to tipping- Must it be cash? or can I give a check? Is it weird to give a check for such a small amount (some $8, some $10..)?

I don't really know what's the norm, but I don't have cash on me and the last day of camp is tomorow..
Thanks!

Yes you can give checks- look at the list the camp gives out for the name of the couselors

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 12:35 am
Please do tip.

My DS worked for a local day camp for the first month and was paid $75 a week for taking care of a bunk consisting of 15 8 year olds, he came home finished, every single day. The few parents that tipped him at the end of the month, made him feel so good about himself.

For second month, he is working at an overnight camp and earning $150 for the entire month. Yes, it was his choice, but he is still working really hard.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 25 2016, 10:43 am
I gave checks, don't have that kind of cash

MomTaxi

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:22 pm
First time camper here and I wasn't really sure since I didn't see any of the action (the handing of the envelopes ) on the last day. It was however very upsetting to be given a list of amounts to give each person a week before camp ended, I would have appreciated knowing at time of sign up. Not only did I not realize how many people were involved but the total amounted to 15% of the tuition! I can't imagine a family of 5 paying that for each child! In any event I took a quick pole at shul and yes everyone seem to tip but at various levels , from full amounts asked to just writing a nice note of thanks. The one thing I didn't like was hearing how the camp doesn't pay well so its up to us parents to make the difference! that is not right, camps need to pay their staff, and quite frankly not sure I want to support a place that treats people like that, tho living in new york I have many options, sometimes I realize this isn't possible. This year I plan on asking ahead of time , whats expected. In addition all the Morahs absolutely did not ask or expect anything and were even embarrassed to take the envelopes. It was an awkward experience for all, in my opinion.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 4:52 pm
I would not consider it.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 7:17 pm
Yes we tip. Camp isn't cheap, but trust me, of all the expenses of running a camp - be it day camp or sleep-away - the counselors don't even make a dent in the budget. They work for peanuts and taking care of a whole bunch of kids isn't easy work. They deserve a tip. I budget for it.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children