Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
High bilirubin sunlight or blue light blanket

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 12:23 pm
Bh my baby will be 2 weeks old tomorrow. His bilirubin was high and he was under lights in the hospital and discharged after 24 hours when levels were normal. Mohel came to check day after and said he looked good. Pediatrician checked him 2 days later and said looked fine. Now mohel came back to check yesterday and said it went up again and will check again in 2 days.
I was told to put him in direct sunlight for a few minutes at a time and also borrowed a blue light blanket.
What was more effective the sun or the blanket?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 2:34 pm
I don't know the answer to your question, but be careful of sunburns.
Sun is only available during the day, the blanket can be used all the time.
Is there a gemach near you for the lights?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 2:43 pm
I borrowed a blue light blanket and I was given instructions about the sunlight. So just been switching on and off. When he is not by the sun he has been under the blue light thing. Just hoping it will work so I can make his bris...

Miri7

Post Tue, Aug 23 2016, 4:17 pm
I've had three kids who had high bilirubin. I was told by the doctor to use the light blankets and to nurse or feed as much as possible, as that helps the bilirubin clear the system.

Do not put your child in the sun!! I was told that while sunlight may be helpful, the light blankets are FAR more effective, and that if you got enough sunlight to help the bilirubin, the child would have a bad burn. All of the pediatricians told me not to put the child in the light.

With the blankets - we had them on our kids pretty much 24/7. I slipped the blanket thing up under the onesie with the cord coming out of the bottom. It was really hard but it was over pretty quickly.

Have you taken your child back to the pediatrician after the mohel said the bilirubin looks like it has spiked again? I would take the child back immediately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics