Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lakewood, Jackson bus passes
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:20 am
It's 9:20 and DD's bus has still not shown up.....

sky

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:24 am
same. But traffic is absolutely gridlocked near where I live. From all directions.

My boys worked out b'h.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:16 am
I heard from one of the big school heads that $17 million dollars was awarded for non public school funding. This $150 fee is just a way for them to get more money. The problem is that when Jewish people are involved the money always goes to someone's pockets.

Many kids got on the bus this morning without paying I'm curious if this fee is legal and if they can enforce it.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:33 am
If 17 million was awarded then it isn't enough for private kids in Lakewood.

If there are 30,000 kids riding buses * $886 per kid = $26.5 million.

Or is my math wrong? Or the number of kids wrong?

I'm not going to worry who paid and who didn't. Although I would think it is stealing if it is required and someone is not doing it honestly. I'll let people deal with that on their own cheshbon (I take that back, I would think less of someone for bragging about it).

Legally the non mandated students don't need to get busing. If it gets dropped than the $150 is a drop in the bucket for what it would cost people who require busing.

Also I'm assuming there is going to be tremendous scrutiny over this money. If someone lines their pockets they would have to be really stupid.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:54 am
Sky I guess you
Are not part of the people
Involved in Lakewood because the biggest reason why there is a money shortage for many things is because it is lining some people's pockets.

I guess it's better to be naive and not realize how dishonest a lot of the higher up in organizations are.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:12 am
Also it doesn't cost so much for private bussing. Bais Tova for kindergarten many parents get private bussing for their kids and its $60 a month so that's $600 for ten months. Big difference.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:23 am
Our busing in a different city is $550 round trip for boys ($200 for the am and $350 for the pm). Girls only have the option of afternoon busing and that is $350 per child. $150 is really reasonable. We lost our government funding so its totally private. The boys school does slightly subsidize the busing because it wants to discourage carpools due to some unique issues with where the school is located.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:28 am
The government gave them money to pay for non mandated students so yes $150'is a lot when they were already giving money. Of course it's reasonable to pay out of pocket but if the board of transportation was given money already then its corrupt to charge parents.

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
Also it doesn't cost so much for private bussing. Bais Tova for kindergarten many parents get private bussing for their kids and its $60 a month so that's $600 for ten months. Big difference.

That is a very different situation since Bais Tova is not hiring separate buses and drivers for their kindergarten classes. Just fitting them into already existing routes.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:55 am
Of course it's separate bussing. It's hired by jays and only picks up nursery and kindergarten. It's $60 a month and many parents chose to carpool instead. It's not subsidized by anything and paid to jays. It has nothing to do with bais Tova that is what it cost to bus your child to school.

mommyla

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:11 am
I don't have bussing yet either... indefinitely. Last year we didn't have a bus for months (though we actually did get aid-in-lieu, which was nice). I don't mind morning drop-offs but the afternoons are a nightmare.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:12 am
Nursery and KG have a later start time and earlier end time than regular classes. So Jays can reuse the bus they send on the regular routes and probably charge a lower rate than the bus they send at prime time.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
Nursery and KG have a later start time and earlier end time than regular classes. So Jays can reuse the bus they send on the regular routes and probably charge a lower rate than the bus they send at prime time.

Even if they "reuse" a bus , a driver and gas costs still need to be paid.

And yes. $150 for transportation is a joke. Where I live transportation is $700-1000 +.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 12:01 pm
Did anyone hear from their school yet that they are definitly not getting bussing?

sky

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 12:54 pm
There are still 2 -3 more rounds of bidding so I doubt anyone knows anything for sure yet.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:08 pm
cnc wrote:
Even if they "reuse" a bus , a driver and gas costs still need to be paid.

And yes. $150 for transportation is a joke. Where I live transportation is $700-1000 +.

Right. But the BOE pays 84/month to transport a child. Jays only charges $60 for the Nursery-KG route because he already has the bus. Paying the driver an extra hour plus the extra gas does not total $60 per kid. So the rest is money in the pocket.

The $150 for transportation is supposed to supplement the funds that they get from the gov't to cover transportation.

Gov't pays $84 month for kids who live over 2 miles from the school and nothing for kids who live nearer. This new organization that was set up wants to use the extra funds from this to pay for kids who live over .5 miles from school to get bussing. It seems that the budget is too high to get by with gov't funds alone, so they are charging parents $150/year to cover the shortfall.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 2:35 pm
That's what this organization is saying but that's not the truth.

There was a new bill passed that the federal government has to cover bussing and also for non mandated kids too bec of the danger of so many kids on the road. This new organization is saying that the government did not give enough money but it did.

And this year its 150 next year its 200 and every year they will add on another $50.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 4:21 pm
amother wrote:
That's what this organization is saying but that's not the truth.

There was a new bill passed that the federal government has to cover bussing and also for non mandated kids too bec of the danger of so many kids on the road. This new organization is saying that the government did not give enough money but it did.

And this year its 150 next year its 200 and every year they will add on another $50.

I read about this bill in a lot of different places. It seems like the bill covers bussing for mandated students only, but it gives a certain amount per student and whatever is left can be used for non-mandated students. Even news sites like APP and NJ.com are saying the same thing, and they love to find any hint of corruption in Lakewood.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:

Many kids got on the bus this morning without paying I'm curious if this fee is legal and if they can enforce it.

Quote:
I'm not going to worry who paid and who didn't. Although would think it is stealing if it is required and someone is not doing it honestly. 'll let people deal with that on their own cheshbon ( take that back, would think less of someone for bragging about it).

I live under two miles from one of my schools, nobody said anything to me personally about being charged. The notice they sent out said that if you live under two miles you will be charged, I'm expecting to get a bill in the mail, not trying to cheat anybody.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 6:33 am
glutenless wrote:
I live under two miles from one of my schools, nobody said anything to me personally about being charged. The notice they sent out said that if you live under two miles you will be charged, I'm expecting to get a bill in the mail, not trying to cheat anybody.

I havent heard a word from Bais Faiga about any fees, and I'm under 2 miles. I got a letter from BK that there will be a fee added to my tuition bill for my hs daughter, but the amount was not specified.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics