Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you wear leggings with dresses/skirts....
1  2  Next

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:00 am
...would you ever wear skinny jeans/denim leggings under the dress/skirt? (Assuming it looked good style-wise).

I wear leggings/thick tights with skirts and dresses all winter, and realize that some of the dresses/skirts wouldn't look bad with skinny jeans underneath instead. Jeans would be so much warmer in cold weather.

Do you think there's a difference between leggings and jeans under a dress? Obviously, I'm talking more hashkafically than stylistically. I live in a diverse community and it wouldn't be considered weird to wear jeans stam, let alone under a dress, but there's something that makes me feel like it's a little... out there, for a non-pants-wearing frum lady to wear jeans under a dress? Too pants-like? Does that matter?

Just curious what others think.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:05 am
Jeans won't be warmer!

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:08 am
sequoia wrote:
Jeans won't be warmer!

Ah, no? They're thicker than leggings so they seemed like they'd be warmer (and more durable.. I hate how leggings stretch, sag at the knees and get holes in them).

bigsis144

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:09 am
I can't put my finger on why, but yeah, jeans under a skirt wouldn't feel right to me.

Partly because leggings are in the "tights" category in my mind, regardless of their pattern and/or thickness. But jeggings (I.e. stretchy denim-looking fabric) go in the "pants" category.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:10 am
It's a great look, and super stylish. I don't do it because in my community it would be a statement, but sounds like that's not an issue for you Smile go for it!

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:12 am
sweetpotato wrote:
Ah, no? They're thicker than leggings so they seemed like they'd be warmer (and more durable.. I hate how leggings stretch, sag at the knees and get holes in them).

Jeans are actually the least warm material.

I do wear pants/jeans in the fall and spring sometimes. But in the winter, you're far better off sticking to skirts and warm tights. The Heattech ones are amazing.

Style-wise, I think skinny jeans look cute with a tunic type dress, but anything longer looks a bit weird.

2cents

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:15 am
I've recently seen a couple of instagram fashion bloggers wear this look. Not sure yet what I think....

dinatov

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:20 am
If it doesn't make waves in your community as it definitely would in some of ours, go for it!

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:37 am
I like the look and in theory I would do it.

My issue with the "modest bloggers" is that quite a few of them wear the jeans with these shirtdresses that are short and look more like a button down shirt with jeans. Way above the knee, open slit area below the lowest button etc Doesn't actually look like a dress with jeans underneath. I mention bloggers because where I live people are not so trendy....no real life examples

They make leggings out of a stretchy denim material (Ive seen them in Target)) and I was thinking of buying a pair. They're probably more comfortable and give a leaner look.

cm

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:40 am
This varies from one community to another. Some places ok, others no.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 11:37 am
I can't picture jeans with a longish dress stylistically.

For winter, why not get the wool type leggings. I am not sure if they are actually wool but they are meant to be worn as pants and are made of a slightly thicker material.

In winter would be wearing boots instead of pumps so who would know where the leggings end. In winter I would put on warm socks over my leggings or tights anyway to keep the toes warm.

MadameX

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:15 pm
I love the look if it is done right. If I were to do it in my community, though, I'd stick out like a sore thumb. But I guess I already do since I wear straight skirts and not A-line/ flare LOL

If you're comfortable to do it, then go for it Thumbs Up

gold21

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 12:50 pm
I do wear leggings
I wouldn't wear jeggings or skinny jeans

DallasIma

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:14 pm
I wear leggings under my skirts because I'm always cold, and unless it's a really special dressy occasion, I wear socks too. I tuck my leggings into the socks, and the leggings don't show at all. They do make "jeggings" (seen at Walmart) but I'd rather have the stretchy leggings as they are more comfortable to me personally.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:15 pm
I wear leggings. I'd wear jeggings, they're just another color/pattern of leggings.

Probably wouldn't wear skinny jeans because leggings are already considered out there in my community.

Also, I'm not sure skinny jeans would look right, and they probably wouldn't be as comfortable as leggings.

And while leggings are considered to be women's clothes, it's debatable if skinny jeans could be considered women's clothes. There are valid arguments on both sides. It would depend on your personal Hashkafa and the rabbinical opinions you follow in general.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:21 pm
I personally don't like the look and it seems odd to me.
Leggings look like tights, maybe a bit thicker but they are black or navy or even grey on ocasion but they look more like tights.
Jeans are jeans. Skinny or not, they are jean material and look like jeans. And I feel like if you are going to wear jeans just wear jeans why the skirt? And if you want it as a legging look buy leggings in a denim color.

perquacky

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:46 pm
Jeggings, yes. Skinny jeans, no. There's a difference.

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:55 pm
I wear skinny jeans with shirtdresses that come down to my knees. I love the look and it's so comfy and warm. Warmer than leggings. To me it's just as tznius as leggings. It probably raises some eyebrows in my community and no one else wears them, but that doesn't bother or stop me. Very Happy

chica

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:07 pm
I do it. Under a shirt dress or a t shirt dress. Plus I think they look super cute tucked into ankle booties. Definitely warmer than leggings. I'm the only one in my community (afaik) who does it, but I don't care.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 9:34 pm
I won't wear jeans under a skirt, I just don't like the look. I will wear leggings in the autumn with boots and a big sweater. I will wear skinny jeans the same way. I will not wear jeggings. If it is really cold in the winter I'll wear lined woolen trousers or flannel lined jeans. It's not unusual in my community.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics