Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yavneh seminary
1  2  Next

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:02 pm
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the seminary yavneh in Cleavland. looking for info on the curriculum is there both secular and religous subject taught there. and what the ratio is there mainly jewish studies like most other seminaries? Also wanted to know about the crowd what type of girls do they have there? thanks in advance.

Maryann

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:14 pm
I think it closed down? ?

mommy100

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:22 pm
no they're definitely still open.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:34 pm
the girls who go to yavne are very smart as well as studious & appear to be very 'frum'

not aware that they learn anything secular ...

they usually are boarders with families in the loop

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:39 pm
I went there a number of years ago when it was popular. It is a BY seminary with a focus on Tanach and academics.

They did have an optional BA program on Sundays and evenings through which students earned a degree over 2 years and took secular classes.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 3:07 pm
I believe that the BA program has ended. You could contact R Moshe Einstadter, who ran it, to see what the status is. Perhaps if there's enough interest it would be reinstated. It wasn't Yavneh's program but they gave credits for limudei kodesh as well as teaching excellent courses in all areas by local academics & professionals. E.g. a local doctor taught a 'murderous' biology or physiology course, they learned a tremendous amount. Music appreciation taught by an advanced professional, etc.

(I told people to keep it very quiet that although most say they're doing the BA just to be able to go to a graduate program and get good jobs, I was more than thrilled that my girls were getting a well-rounded advanced education. But don't tell anyone or they'll throw me out of my chareidi community!) Unfortunately.... I'm not sure why it did not continue. There was even a remote option if you didn't go to Yavneh.

The last couple of years I heard they had only a couple of handfuls of girls. It's a shame because there are amazing teachers and it's a beautiful, warm community with lovely hosting families. I hope it builds up again.

It's such an amazing opportunity but I think almost every girl wants the EY experience. Some of us, though, told our girls from 9th grade that "we do not send to EY" and that's that!

(I'm anon bec everyone who knows me knows that I have several girls who went to Yavneh.)

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:49 pm
Can anyone give updated Yavne seminary information please? Ty

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
The seminary closed some time back. I heard a few years ago that they were trying to restart it. Did you hear that too?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:56 pm
Yes, I heard that it definitely reopened, with a tiny group, headed by Mrs. Goldberg, Rebbetzin Ausband's daughter. Would love to learn more.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:05 pm
The past few years they have had 3-4 girls.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:14 pm
I live walking distance and walk by it almost daily. I did see a Rabbi going in there the other day. That was the first time I'd seen any action there in ages.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

I know a girl who went there this past year.
It’s tiny as others have said but supposed to have really good teachers.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:33 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I live walking distance and walk by it almost daily. I did see a Rabbi going in there the other day. That was the first time I'd seen any action there in ages.

Where is it located now?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:47 pm
Taylor road

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 8:23 pm
I have inside info...
Yavne is still up and running under Mrs Goldberg... Reb AUsbands daughter. It has been very small the past few years.. 3-4 girls

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 9:02 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I have inside info...
Yavne is still up and running under Mrs Goldberg... Reb AUsbands daughter. It has been very small the past few years.. 3-4 girls

Is it attracting just Cleveland girls who want an in city option?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 2:52 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

No- the only Clevelanders who go are the principal’s grandchildren.
Other than that, no one really goes there

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 3:35 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

No. I would say attracting girls from NY or other places who need individualized attention/ small learning group or who can’t get into other sems. It doesn’t seem to the highest level of students other than those who go because they are grandchildren.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 24 2020, 11:07 pm
What are names of seminary located in America for frum (not yeshivish) straight A girls?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 25 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
No. I would say attracting girls from NY or other places who need individualized attention/ small learning group or who can’t get into other sems. It doesn’t seem to the highest level of students other than those who go because they are grandchildren.

It’s great that they are adapting to the needs of these students, but it’s a chaval that the level of learning has declined. The learning was challenging, stimulating, deep, analytical and fully text-based my year. Of course, much of that was Morah’s a”h mehalech.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics