Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What religion is this?
1  2  Next

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:22 pm
What religious sect is this? 2 white American women in hippie clothes, pants and loose tank tops, with scarves covering their hair Israeli-style, and their little boys had scarves in their hair Sikh-style.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:44 pm
Sounds like they were dressed up to go somewhere. Maybe a friend's wedding? They went to have their hair arranged and they'll change into the clothes right before the wedding?

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:50 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Sounds like they were dressed up to go somewhere. Maybe a friend's wedding? They went to have their hair arranged and they'll change into the clothes right before the wedding?

No. They weren't "dressed up." They were at a kids' place.

Either way, it was some religion that isn't Judaism and I'm curious which one.

Last edited by EnnuiGalore on Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:50 pm
EnnuiGalore wrote:
What religious sect is this? 2 white American women in hippie clothes, pants and loose tank tops, with scarves covering their hair Israeli-style, and their little boys had scarves in their hair Sikh-style.

They could be any religion that believes in women covering their hair but has no other explicit modesty rules.

Or they could be one of those everything goes and everything is true religions.

I have a coworker who is a member of such a religion. The only thing required of her is vaguely believing in a higher power who loves her and accepts all efforts to come close to him but doesn't disapprove of anything. That is the type of thing someone dressed like a hippie would believe in.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:54 pm
leah233 wrote:
They could be any religion that believes in women covering their hair but has no other explicit modesty rules.

I have a coworker who is a member of such a religion. The only thing required of her is vaguely believing in a higher power who loves her and accepts all efforts to come close to him but doesn't disapprove of anything. That is the type of thing someone dressed like a hippie would believe in.

What a judgy response. I was just curious if anyone knew which religion that might have been - not an opinion ABOUT said religion.

leah233

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 1:59 pm
EnnuiGalore wrote:
What a judgy response. I was just curious if anyone knew which religion that might have been - not an opinion ABOUT said religion.

These religions have no names. The only way to mention them is to describe them.

yo603

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:01 pm
Possibly jewish? Maybe they keep certain Tznius rules.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:03 pm
yo603 wrote:
Possibly jewish? Maybe they keep certain Tznius rules.

No. The little boys had top knots like Sikhs and I am in a low-Jew area as it is.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:03 pm
Well if the boys had Sikh turbans I'd go for that.

From google

http://www.ethnicityonline.net/sikh_dress.htm

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:04 pm
leah233 wrote:
These religions have no names. The only way to mention them is to describe them.

Sure.
There was certainly a hint of disdain in your response - no point in backtracking.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:11 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Well if the boys had Sikh turbans I'd go for that.

From google

http://www.ethnicityonline.net/sikh_dress.htm

I doubt it. The family was white as snow and had unaccented English. Possible, but unlikely.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:14 pm
Is there such a thing as a Sikh convert?

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 2:16 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Is there such a thing as a Sikh convert?

Anything is possible, I suppose....

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 4:39 pm
In Los Angeles in one Jewish area, Pico Robertson, there is a Skih temple with lots of white members.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 5:03 pm
Miri7 wrote:
In Los Angeles in one Jewish area, Pico Robertson, there is a Skih temple with lots of white members.

Interesting. Do the women cover their hair? What style?

bluebird

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 5:14 pm
Sikhs accept converts. I would guess they're Sikh or the offshoot 3HO.

Other than that they could belong to a new-age type religion or a cult.

ariellabella

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 5:26 pm
bluebird wrote:
Sikhs accept converts. I would guess they're Sikh or the offshoot 3HO.

Other than that they could belong to a new-age type religion or a cult.

I think you nailed it: https://www.3ho.org/3ho-lifest.....-head

Carmen Luna

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 6:30 pm
leah233 wrote:

Talk about picking and choosing! It sounds like someone wants to do whatever the heck he/she wants all the while cloaking it in "G-d loves me for who I am" nonsense.

Snickers18

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 8:18 pm
There are definitely plenty of white Sikhs. I have several friends who are, and most of them are actually jewish by birth. My friends don't always wear turbans/buns, but often do (men/boys and women/girls alike), with special ones for special occasions. They wore fancier ones to our weddings.

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Aug 24 2016, 10:18 pm
A reliable source told me they might be Sufi!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics