Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
"That is a stupid statement, as jobs .....(vent)

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:26 am
This is what my boss said to me today when I got upset..

Another volunteer has quit today, her job is the cemetery work. Now I do alot of her stuff as is, w/out pay. Now it seems that her entire job is going to be put on me as well!!

I said to my boss, I was not hired to do cemetery work it's a job in itself!

His response was, "That is a stupid statement because jobs are always changing."

Fine, so when I was hired everything was done by hand.
I computerized alot...and then the yaharzeits were dropped in my lap..

Then they wanted a webpage, and I put it on the web for them and constantly update it for them as well!

Then they wanted new this and new that...and this and that!

HAVE I GOTTEN A RAISE?!?! NOO..

Sorry this is a vent, I am just so upset! No wonder they went through secretaries before me! I have been here for 2 years, and no raise no thank you no nothing!

chen

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 8:51 am
Are you a shul administrator? That is the kind of job that is almost always underpaid and overworked. Many jobs for tzedoko orgs are like that. Whatever is not within the purview of the rabbi or the custodian--and many things that really are--get dumped in the lap of the office staff.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:05 am
chen wrote:
Are you a shul administrator?

yup!

ONly using the job because it's flexible and let's me go to school..other wise I would have quit a LONG time ago

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:32 am
MM - you have to accept the good with the bad, ya' know! B"H you have a reilable job with flexible hours. The downside is that its a thankless job with too much "cruddy" work included. Maybe if you can "accept" that at times your job is a pain, then it will be a lot less frutrating when that bad stuff is manifest. Like going to the dentist for a filling, we expect there will be pain and accept that's how it is at the dentist. Ya' know what I mean...

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:41 am
yeah I know just needed to vent! Smile

chochma73

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:50 am
not to be dense but why don't you ask for a raise.

after all if your job keeps growing and changing then tell your boss when I came my job was ABCD now it is JKLMNOP as well. I got a small raise when I went to my boss and outlined all the things I was taking care of and comparing it to what I was hired for. not in a condescending way but rather by saying I deserve it!.

good luck

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:56 am
I did that once..and well let's just say their idea of a raise was not the same as mine...

They also pointed out that, they are flexible and understanding that I have kids and taking college courses...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 10:01 am
Mitzvahmom wrote:
I did that once..and well let's just say their idea of a raise was not the same as mine...

They also pointed out that, they are flexible and understanding that I have kids and taking college courses...

Yeah. Got that, all right.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Aug 26 2007, 3:00 am
If you are getting more experience, it can be worth it.

You never know which "direction" will be relevant and help you get your next job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics