Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Heart murmur

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 12:49 pm
When my dd was 18 months, we were told by the dr that she had an innocent heart murmur (basically not a big deal). The dr never heard it again. She is now 5. She had a check-up yesterday (by a new dr..we moved) and he heard a murmur. This time, he is not sure if it is innocent. He wants to see her in 6 months to take another listen to see if it has dissappeared or changed. If so, he will send her for an echocardiogram. I am SO scared! Does anyone know about this?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 1:02 pm
my sister had that, but she's well into her 40's now . . .

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 1:05 pm
In general, innocent murmurs are very common.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure that if she does have a murmur, it won't be a big deal.

I would just insist on having the echo now. Why wait? Next time he might not hear the murmur, but that may not mean it's not there, or vice versa. The only way you'll know for sure is by doing the echo.

It took years for a doctor to notice that I had a murmur. . . and took several more years for a different doctor to send me for an echo and find out exactly what type of murmur I had. The only thing I do differently now is premedicate before dental appointments and surgery.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 1:08 pm
defy is right on target.......
my 2 year old has a murmur......he's had it since birth. it's really nothing. he was getting an echo every six months, but now only needs one once a year. and like defy said, the only life change is getting antibiotics before a dental appointment. I know it sounds scary becuase it's the heart we're talking about, but please trust me........heart murmurs and really nothing...........my mother still has one and she's in her 50s......still has to take antibiotics before the dentist and it has never ever been even remotely been a problem for her.

cindy324

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 2:01 pm
yes, it's no biggie, I have one, too. My doc likes to call it "the murmur that makes more noise than it's worth" Very Happy

Tehilla

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 2:03 pm
I had one for quite awhile as a child. B"H my doctors have never mentioned it since pre-teen years that I can recall. I would say don't worry, but mommies tend to fuss over our sweet children because we're mommies! Daven, ask for a bracha from your Rebbe or Rav, and go back for the check-up! Hashem should make it completely fine for you!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 22 2007, 9:23 pm
go for the echo right away. our doctor also heard a murmur and assured us it was nothing.
We went for a echo and even before the echo, based on the way our child looked, right away clued him in that there was more wrong.
And the echo confirmed it. Baruch Hashem it is not life threating but we need to be on top of it.

rochelleah

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 1:48 pm
I say go for the echo now why wait and worry. I have a murmur and my oldest daufgter and my third child, a daughter was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse which she used to take prophilactec for but when she went for echo this time the dr. said they changed the reg. again and now she does'nt. My 8th child was born with HLHS which basically means she has half a heart (long story). Anyhow now I want everyone checked just to be sure and ins. won't even fight me.

e1234

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 2:09 pm
my son had this... when he was a baby and then a dr. didn't hear it.

then when he was 5 he was sick for a few months and blood test showed something up and we didn't find anything.

then the dr. thought he heard a murmer and got very worried.
he sent us to the hospital where we waited all day for a echocardiogram and some other tests but B"H he was fine and got better himself.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 2:15 pm
My great grand aunt had it too. She passed at the ripe old age of 94 - a woman born in 1897 and went through the war. Don't worry, just keep the thing checked!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 19 2010, 10:45 pm
My son has a congenital heart defect. Anybody knows why they need to be medicared before dental work vs. other times? Are all infections more problematic for the heart, or only blood infections from dental work?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 20 2010, 1:06 am
with my 2 year old each time since he's a baby - every other time we were at the dr. we heard a murmer and he wasn't concerned. I recently went for this well being checkup and the dr. heard it again so decided we should check it out.
I have an appt with the cardiologist next week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics