Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How not to overspend?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 8:53 am
Look around and find the best prices.
You don't need to buy everything at one time or at one place.
Keep track of sales.
Keep track of what you need so when you see a good sale, you can check your records and buy what's needed.
There are regular sales on specific dates. Push off purchases when you could, and plan ahead.
Buy last seasons styles. Most people don't know the difference, and for children it doesn't really matter.

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 9:30 am
or budget the amount that you spend yearly on clothing, divide by months or on some months keep a oh its on sale amount to have. when you see it in the window. but you can basically plan the shopping on sale times etc.
what helps me not overspend is the fact that I calculate how much use I am going to get out of the outfit. how many Shabbos dresses does dd wear per season? 4 makes sense 10 way overdoing it.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
I don't see how that's possible. Can you break it down for me?

I just spent $350 yesterday. I made an online order for basic school pants, socks and underwear. Also, a couple of tees for the baby. Clothing costs money! And I am definitely not interested in buying second hand.

Where exactly did you buy the clothes? Moderately priced stores like The Children's Place, Old Navy and even GAP (since everything is always 30-40% off) are never more than $10-$20 per pair of pants. 5 pairs of pants is $100 or less and I can't imagine socks and underwear cost more than $50.

zigi

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:23 am
keep a cart and check websites daily weekly. lol the ad on top of imamother was 40% off of gap. buy through ebates or upromise or swagbucks, I am getting 8$ back from my order of pants and shirts for school for the kids. also if you use a credit card for points etc.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
But I don't want it to be done. I want to save. I want to curb my spending before it is done.

You will start realizing that soon enough and begin saving.

The best idea would be to take $x for clothing for example, buy what you NEED and then move the remaining $$ into another envelope marked savings. Once it is moved you can't use it unless both you AND your dh agree it is necessary (kid ruined their shoes or something).

At the end of the day saving is just a lot of self control. It is hard in the beginning but once you get into it you can do it. You just have to be STRONG.

besty

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:50 am
is there a boardwalk or a nice park you could go walking by? like this you could avoid window shopping and leave it to the times you actually need stuff or these stores are on sale?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:08 am
MamaBear wrote:
Where exactly did you buy the clothes? Moderately priced stores like The Children's Place, Old Navy and even GAP (since everything is always 30-40% off) are never more than $10-$20 per pair of pants. 5 pairs of pants is $100 or less and I can't imagine socks and underwear cost more than $50.

My kids do not look good in gap and old navy pants. Yesterday the order was h&m. I usually shop there or Zara. I paid $13.99 a pair. I bought 14 pairs. I hope for them to last until the spring.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 11:38 am
14 pairs for how many kids? that's a lot....but even if you add in tops and a couple of coats that's likely not more than 500 per kid per year.

dinatov

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The envelope idea is something that sounds like it will help me.

Here's my question:

Let's say my budget for clothing $500 a month, but really I can buy my kids cheap clothes and only spend $200, what's to stop me from spending the money even though it's there?

Amarantes suggestion of no window shopping is a start, but realistically, I do walk down the avenue and I do go into stores sometimes. How to stop myself from looking at all the lovely racks of clothing and jewelry? What should be my incentive?

How about by promising yourself a certain percentage of the amount you saved tp buy yourself something or to save up for something?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:32 pm
you shouldn't be buying clothing every month- that's the shopper in u that feels the need to do so. However, u should be putting away for it every month, so when succos, pesach comes around, and u have a lot of expenses like new shoes, yom tov clothing, new seasonal clothing, socks, accessories, etc u have the money for it, but u have also gotten into the habit of putting aside money and not spending it immediately.
I put away money every month for this sort of thing, mainly because if I didn't, that pre yom tov shopping would be way out of budget. U don't have to shop discounts if u don't want to, just don't buy it if it's not in ur budget and u will spend more than u have put aside.

dinatov

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:34 pm
There are always reasons to buy clothes. tights tear, toddlers grow, uniform skirts fall apart (that is a thread for itself!), etc.

OMG!

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:36 pm
dinatov wrote:
How about by promising yourself a certain percentage of the amount you saved tp buy yourself something or to save up for something?

I actually love this idea. I have a cash envelope and whenever dh gives me cash for cleaning help or taxis, and I have leftover I put away some. now I bought myself a new sheitel from that envelope!
I like this thread very much since im in the same boat. I love shopping online. I love designer childrens wear. dh almost never has cash so I continuously swipe my credit cards. when he complains about the amnts I beg him for cash so I will spend less... I must must save now to redo some big things in my new house. like a practical laundry room and window coverings. I wish I can stop spending. whenever im bored I shop! keep the ideas coming

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
I don't see how that's possible. Can you break it down for me?

I just spent $350 yesterday. I made an online order for basic school pants, socks and underwear. Also, a couple of tees for the baby. Clothing costs money! And I am definitely not interested in buying second hand.

The point is that yiu have an annual amount to spend for clothing because some months yiu won't spend anything.

No one can say if what you are spending is appropriate.

You start with the total amount you have to spend and allocate what amount is necessary or what is called non discretionary spending. Then you determine your priorities and allocate.

I think yu are not accepting that money is finite and are confusing wants with needs. You need food. You don't need Chilean Sea Bas. You need clothing but you don't need designer duds.

If you have $x dollars left after yiu have REALISTICALLY Budgeted for all non discretionary expenses, then that is money yiu have to spend. Yiu determine what your priorities are.

It is possible to spend more wisely if one has to but I am sensing that yiu are fighting the idea that your resources are limited.

Perhaps $350 was realistic for amount of clothing yiu needed. On the other hand, is it possible to have bought things less expensively that weren't shmattas. There is a huge difference between Baby Dior and thrift shops. My BFF is trust fund wealthy and shops for kids clothing at Target. Not for everything but she doesn't spend for the sake of spending and her kids grew up loving to shop for a bargain. Again, since they have money of course they didn't deprive for the sake of depriving and have plenty if beautiful clothing for simchas.

You need to accept that yiu want to budget because yiu want to have money for other things. Decide what is more important - another outfit or raking the kids to Disney or saving for something else important

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 1:01 pm
OMG! wrote:
I actually love this idea. I have a cash envelope and whenever dh gives me cash for cleaning help or taxis, and I have leftover I put away some. now I bought myself a new sheitel from that envelope!
I like this thread very much since im in the same boat. I love shopping online. I love designer childrens wear. dh almost never has cash so I continuously swipe my credit cards. when he complains about the amnts I beg him for cash so I will spend less... I must must save now to redo some big things in my new house. like a practical laundry room and window coverings. I wish I can stop spending. whenever im bored I shop! keep the ideas coming

It's great to knwo someone understand me!

Problem is I have full access to cash as well as my credit cards. When I didn't want my husband to realize how much I spent on kids clothes, I pay cash so he can't trace it embarrassed

little neshamala

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 1:43 pm
Im having a very hard time with is thread.
Please dont get offended by this, I promise I am really trying to sound nice. In fact I really am nice. Really. But im a bit upset. Not at you. Just upset.
BH you have been blessed with an abundance of parnassah. You dont even have to work! You get to stay at home, and walk along the avenue, and window shop, and you are struggling with the nisayon of not spending all your extra cash...wow.
please, please realize how lucky you are. I really thought your clothing budget was a joke, then realized you were serious.
I am not jealous of you, I promise. BH we are comfortable.
But I was quite poor growing up, and hearing your budget and your struggle to save is really stirrng something inside of me.
How do you save?? This is how you save.
You save by keeping your childrens well being in mind. Knowing nothing is certainly forever, putting money away for your childrens future simchas juuuust in case down the road things ch"v arent so good.
You save towards a way to enhance the quality of your life. If you can use a larger kitchen, an addition...
You stay strong by telling yourself that as much as you have, you'll always want more, as long as its adorable and gorgeous and in the shop window. And reminding yourself that after 120 none of it reeeeaally mattered that much anyway.
And if you already have all your kids savings acounts stocked up, and youve already got the gorgeous addition and kitchen, then how about buying gorgeous clothes for the many children whose imas will not be buying any clothes for them, because there simply is no money for that.
But if you dont have all that in place, then just reframe your mind, realize how amazingly Hashem has ble$$ed you, and have fun and happy saving!

besty

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 1:55 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Please dont get offended by this, I promise I am really trying to sound nice. In fact I really am nice. Really. But im a bit upset. Not at you. Just upset.
BH you have been blessed with an abundance of parnassah. You dont even have to work! You get to stay at home, and walk along the avenue, and window shop, and you are struggling with the nisayon of not spending all your extra cash...wow.
please, please realize how lucky you are. I really thought your clothing budget was a joke, then realized you were serious.
But I was quite poor growing up, and hearing your budget and your struggle to save is really stirrng something inside of me.
You save by keeping your childrens well being in mind. Knowing nothing is certainly forever, putting money away for your childrens future simchas juuuust in case down the road things ch"v arent so good.
You save towards a way to enhance the quality of your life. If you can use a larger kitchen, an addition...
You stay strong by telling yourself that as much as you have, you'll always want more, as long as its adorable and gorgeous and in the shop window. And reminding yourself that after 120 none of it reeeeaally mattered that much anyway.
And if you already have all your kids savings acounts stocked up, and youve already got the gorgeous addition and kitchen, then how about buying gorgeous clothes for the many children whose imas will not be buying any clothes for them, because there simply is no money for that.
But if you dont have all that in place, then just reframe your mind, realize how amazingly Hashem has ble$$ed you, and have fun and happy saving!

its hard telling all this to our minds.......cuz bottom line when we go out and see that adorable outfit and have means to buy it I still want it........takes a lot of work to be like this!!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:01 pm
besty wrote:
its hard telling all this to our minds.......cuz bottom line when we go out and see that adorable outfit and have means to buy it I still want it........takes a lot of work to be like this!!

actually, I think there's a great idea in there for op: if you have extra tzedaka to give, go buy some really cute children's clothing and donate it to a local gemach. this allows you to enjoy the shopping experience while not spending out of budget. set aside some maaser every month so you can do this. take just that amount of money with you and nothing else.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:05 pm
Look as the monthly budget as finite.
No husband bailing you out.
No cash.
No credit.

Just what is in the account( get a debit card).
You can set up the account in a way that when your husband puts in the sum 10% goes into a "rainy day" account.
If you go over the budget that's where the money comes from.
If you keep to the budget you can use the 10% for a big ticket item that you wouldn't normally treat yourself to (renovations, sheital,furniture, vacation...)
Then continue budgeting for yourself. If you know that in August you will need a lot more money before the school year starts that means you need to spend less starting right after pesach

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:06 pm
little neshamala wrote:

I am not at all offended. You sound like a lovely person. I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. I did have a point in my life that I didn't have two cents to rub together. It wasn't the same as others struggling because my parents just bought me whatever I needed, but it was painful never the less.
FTR, I often buy new clothes for people who can't afford it. Including many people on this site.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:09 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
actually, I think there's a great idea in there for op: if you have extra tzedaka to give, go buy some really cute children's clothing and donate it to a local gemach. this allows you to enjoy the shopping experience while not spending out of budget. set aside some maaser every month so you can do this. take just that amount of money with you and nothing else.

I already do this. I have bought many people on this site clothing for their children. I love shopping! Even when it's for others.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics