Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How not to overspend?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:05 pm
Op, how is it going?

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 7:06 am
Hi! Thanks for asking! So far we didn't set me up with my own account yet, so I don't really know how it's working yet. But until then, I've been trying to exercise self control and I've been partially successful. But not nearly successful and I want to be Sad. For example, I really only wanted to buy my baby more expensive clothing for shabbos, and do cheap for weekday , but when I was in the stores I was too weak and I bought him a bunch of ridiculously expensive stuff. But.... I also refrained from buying him some extra shabbos shirts that I really wanted because he would have matched my other son. And yesterday, I went into a store just to "look around" and I really ended up just looking around! Until I set up my own account, it will board to monitor my successes though.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 7:08 am
Oh. I forgot to add that I have successfully stayed away from buying pizza for supper for the past few weeks. (I used to buy once a week.)

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 10:31 am
It's a step in the right direction! Your saving on the pizza which can amount to a few $100 a year in savings!

cbg

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 5:17 pm
This is what I would do.
Take 20% and put it into a different account, savings account.
Only use the money you have available, No Matter What, -20%.
If you need to put that money in a debit card, do it.
Twice a week make a meal that will only cost $5 or less for the whole family.
Rice and beans with eggs and spinach (checked yourself)
No take out, no restaurant, no coffee out, no bottled water (fill one up at home).
Go out for your daily walk to the shops, but only take $10 (emergency) and no credit cards
Your goal is not to use those $10.
The daily $10 gets put away daily, in an envelope. That's an extra $300 monthly.
Reward yourself with a shopping spree once a month with the $300.
This way you can tell yourself I only have to wait a few more days and I can buy so and so.
The biggest deal will be when you can save those $300 for once a year. $3600.
It's not much but it will curve you appetite to buy things.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics