Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Pros and cons of lacquering leichter
1  2  Next

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 12:43 pm
Until a few years ago, I did not own silver leichter, but I got them around 2 years ago. I like to leave my leichter out on the dining room server where I use them. Obviously they need regular polishing if I do this.

I am considering having them lacquered so that they won't need to be polished. Has anyone done this? I've heard different opinions: some say they don't look as nice but others say it's beautiful and always looks great.

I'd like to hear pros and cons from people who've done it or chose not to.

YHM

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:09 pm
Following this.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:13 pm
YHM wrote:
Following this.

Me too!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:21 pm
My mother, sister, and I all did leichters, menorah, etc ranging from 12 to 5 years ago. We all love it and get compliments on how amazing they look all the time. Someone once told me that laquering ruins the silver but I have not seen that to be the case and she didn't really seem to know firsthand (just repeated it from someone else)

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
My mother, sister, and I all did leichters, menorah, etc ranging from 12 to 5 years ago. We all love it and get compliments on how amazing they look all the time. Someone once told me that laquering ruins the silver but I have not seen that to be the case and she didn't really seem to know firsthand (just repeated it from someone else)

Did you laquer smooth modern style silver or intricate tradition style silver and does it make a difference?

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 1:35 pm
I should add that I did have a mezuzah bayis lacquered around 6 months ago and people always comment on how gorgeous it looks.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 2:01 pm
I lacquered mine. They look perfect, always. No cons. 100% worth every penny.

I have heard that some people have problems with it looking yellowish. Both my sister in law, me, and my mother did it, all at different places, and we are all thrilled with the results.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:21 pm
I did it many years ago. It is only now starting to look dull. Ive been thinking of redoing it. Best thing I ever did. It sits on my buffet uncovered all the time.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:39 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Until a few years ago, I did not own silver leichter, but I got them around 2 years ago. I like to leave my leichter out on the dining room server where I use them. Obviously they need regular polishing if I do this.

I am considering having them lacquered so that they won't need to be polished. Has anyone done this? I've heard different opinions: some say they don't look as nice but others say it's beautiful and always looks great.

I'd like to hear pros and cons from people who've done it or chose not to.

I'm a bit embarrassed but what is lacquering silver?

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:39 pm
amother wrote:
Did you laquer smooth modern style silver or intricate tradition style silver and does it make a difference?

I've heard you get best results on intricate ones because the lacquer needs to "gather" somewhere, and you can't see it in the design.

HelloG

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:41 pm
The store warned me about if it gets wet and all. In the end I lacquered and it looks beautiful

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:47 pm
Any recommendation of where to get it done.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:

all of us have traditional type--details flowery swirly type.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:09 pm
My sister lacquered her leichter, it's smooth, modern style and looks beautiful.

To the poster who asked what it means - it's a clear coating that's put on to silver to prevent it from tarnishing.

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 11:13 pm
My mil laquered a huge antique centerpiece and completely ruined it. It now has a dull yellow tinge to it. She had it done at a reputable place.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:38 am
happyone wrote:
My mil laquered a huge antique centerpiece and completely ruined it. It now has a dull yellow tinge to it. She had it done at a reputable place.

This scares me. How. Long before it turned yellow?

losingweight

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:42 am
If it turns yellow quickly it should be returned and redone. I did my menorah. It's beautiful. You can't wash it very hot water so I use lots of dish soap and rinse it with cool water. The cons is that you need to redo it every few years and it's expensive to take off the old laquer.
Grand sterling in Boro park does a gorgeous job and they stand behind their work.

dina22

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 3:25 am
How much would this cost? Mine turn yellow so fast, even though they are put away for during the week. The place my sister got hers did it for free.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 3:35 am
Can you do kiddush cups?

harriet

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 3:45 am
amother wrote:
Can you do kiddush cups?

I was told you can't do anything that touches food/drink, so no
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry