Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working moms, when do your kids get therapy?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 3:29 pm
I actually don't work in the mornings, but by the time the last kid leaves, I pick up the one who needs therapy, spend an hour at the office across town, bring DC back to school... I would be late for work myself.

After-school would be a logistical nightmare.

My mother works, STBXH is unreliable, and anyway visitation is complicated enough as is.

Any suggestions?

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 3:32 pm
Get your other kids in a carpool?

Find a therapist closer than an hour away?

Do you drive? If not, can you find an affordable driver to cut down on travel time?

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:31 pm
My kids get therapy in school.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:33 pm
I found therapists in my neighborhood who see kids from 7:30, and got the first slots of the day.

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:34 pm
My child gets social skills help at 6:15 and OT at 3 on Fridays when dh can take him.

gumby

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:40 pm
Lots of kids get therapy in school. How old is the child?

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 8:51 pm
my twins do ABA at home 4-6 on Mon/Tues/Wed and Sunday morning 10-12. Well, at least one twin does--- getting the other's hours set up now--- he's had fewer hours. So the only time I TAKE them for therapy is Thursdays--- I take them to speech therapy--- we leave at 4:15 for a 4:45 appointment and get back home at 6:00. My schedule is flexible and I work part time, mostly from home, so I'm always home by 3:30. If you work till 5:00 or 6:00 it gets more complicated but there are lots of sitters who drive and would be willing to shlepp to therapy.

First step is getting as much therapy as possible through school. My kids are in public school--- not QUITE special needs enough to get kicked into the ABA based programs so I have to do a lot outside of school hours. If you don't need ABA, but basic PT, OT, speech, you might be able to get a decent amount through school during the school day.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:16 pm
Thanks for the responses, everyone! Friday is not a bad idea, actually. I will look into availability.

Transportation is not the issue, really, though I do wish there would be a therapy center on my block or around the corner. It's more about how to squeeze a sizable block of time into a tight schedule. As a single mother these details are complicated.

DC is 8, too old for the school-based services but too young to go alone.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:44 pm
In baltimore where I live there are therapy clinics that offer in-school therapy. Not covered by school system. I pay privately and they go during school hours to see my kid. Otherwise, there is no way I can get them to appointments.

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 9:54 pm
My child's therapist told me that if he still needs to see him when he is in 1st grade it can be done during the school day and can be part of the title 1 program that provides remediation. We are a year away from that so I don't know a whole lot more other then that.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 2:19 pm
too OLD for school based services? that's a thing? My twins are 4th graders and still getting school based services.... they need more than that so I opt to schedule ABA and speech outside of school hours too--- but they get therapies via IEP and I would assume still will next year and onward.... ??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics