Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Baby sitter in house.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 5:35 pm
I'm almost back to work with a hours full of kids. I was thinking of taking a baby sitter into house to do some chores as well. I live in Williamsburg and here I can't find a sitter a yidisha person. So I was deciding in going with a cleaning lady. Would you trust someone like that in your house? Thinking if making my house I guess somehow [cleaner] proof. (Putting away money and jewelry)??
And how much would you consider paying such a lady.? I want to get away the cheapest possible cause it will reflect my income.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 5:46 pm
Cameras are a must.

cm

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 5:57 pm
So a Jewish person is automatically trustworthy and a non-Jewish person is automatically untrustworthy? Oh, dear...

No matter who you hire, always hide your valuables.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 28 2016, 7:26 pm
I'd invest in a surveillance system- cameras in a few spots.
Without cameras I'd not have known how cruel my babysitter was when I was gone.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 7:59 am
Ill be honest, your whole post made me feel really uneasy from word use to grammar but ok. Let me address each point to try help (as a fellow working mom).

"I'm almost back to work with a hours full of kids"
I am assuming this means you are going back to work after having a baby? And have a few kids - how many will be staying home with the sitter? What are your hours? And what will you expect the sitter to do other than watch the kids?

"Thinking if making my house I guess somehow [cleaner] proof."
[cleaner] is an awful word. With that off my mind, whether you hire a Frum girl, a not frum boy or a Non-Jewish lady, if you value your child and your household items (from jewelry to dishes), install cameras.
I can recommend Vimtag. It is actually a Jewish company, their head offices are in Monroe, but their cameras are great. Easy to install, simple set up and they record too. you can access it from a computer or phone (they have an app) and they can be purchased on Amazon (with prime, it comes in two days). I recommend getting their cloud box too to store the recordings you will get more hours than just using the sd card in the camera itself.

"And how much would you consider paying such a lady.? I want to get away the cheapest possible cause it will reflect my income."

Such a lady?
She is going to be taking care of your kids. PLEASE do NOT hire someone to watch your kids that you think so low of. She may not be Jewish, she may not be American, but she is a person!! She is watching your kids!
And whilst I get that you don't want to spend too much on childcare, at the end fo the day childcare IS expensive. It does eat up your paycheck and there is nothing you can do about it.
If you want cheap, take your child to a childcare where it will cost you $5-$6.50 per hour.
In your house will not be for less than $10 per hour. If you want her to do some house care too such as washing dishes, cleaning and changing linens etc., I would offer a minimum of $12 per hour.

You can go online to sittercity.com or care.org and get a qualified babysitter/nanny with background checks and references. Both websites are excellent and totally worth the one month subscription cost to find someone suitable for you and your family. The minimum is usually $13-15 per hour with the more qualified ones asking for $20 pr hour.
This is your child, totally worth it in my opinion.

nywife

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 10:10 am
amother wrote:
I'm almost back to work with a hours full of kids. I was thinking of taking a baby sitter into house to do some chores as well. I live in Williamsburg and here I can't find a sitter a yidisha person. So I was deciding in going with a cleaning lady. Would you trust someone like that in your house? Thinking if making my house I guess somehow [cleaner] proof. (Putting away money and jewelry)??
And how much would you consider paying such a lady.? I want to get away the cheapest possible cause it will reflect my income.

I'm going to be dan lekaf zchus here and presume you're truly unaware of how bigoted your post is coming across as.

Either way:
- If you're hiring a babysitter who you expect to do housework be prepared to pay extra. Also, how will it work- will you watch the child(ren) while she cleans?
- I would trust a nanny if she provided valid references and if I met with her first. Even then, I would buy a nanny cam.
- what do you mean by "reflect your income"?

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:41 pm
Gotta proof? Really?
I have had non-Jewish sitters exclusively over the last few years and they all have been amazing. I never once worried about my kids or my valuables.
Hide your jewelry and valuables if that makes you feel better.
Cameras are great for peace of mind. I have them but I hardly ever look at them. Then again, my kids are older and they tell me immediately if they don't like something.
You pay the person going market rate or a little more if you want to show her that she is valuable. Multiple kids and household chores cost extra. Don't forget to cover her transportation costs and make sure she has access to food while she is in your house. That is just common courtesy for someone who works for very small salary.
You also treat that person with highest respect. Doing anything less is a straight up hillul Hashem

STovah

Post Mon, Aug 29 2016, 12:59 pm
I would be very wary of getting the cheapest babysitter possible. Very often you get what you pay for.

Only issue I can think of with Jewish vs. non Jewish babysitter is regarding bishul akum in the kitchen. Speak to your LOR about what you can do to alleviate concerns there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics