Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Picky eater- is it stress?

Kugglegirl

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 4:41 am
My 4yo son eats very few items.

Right now its pretzles and hummus. But only plain hummus from the store. I tried to make some hummus -- I made it without techina, and used mayonise to make it creamy-- because he is starting school next week & his school does not allow sesame seeds, or nuts, or peanuts.

I tasted it & thought it was pretty much the same. He took one bite & was gagging and spitting it out.

He only eats grapes, apples, (each of these some times), cheese, chicken, fish sticks (but chicken and fish sticks only if they are hot), pretzels.

He will of course eat chocolate, (but not a milky way bar, that he spit out & cried),some cookies, drinks chocolate milk.

I don't think he is starving, but he is so limited & I keep offering many foods, including our meals-- nothing fancy-- often noodles & sauce, salmon (he eats some times)--

At meals he will eat the starch if plain--like rice, and a few bites of meat.

does not like macaroni & cheese any more.

I feel like it is worse now as we get closer to school starting.

We are starting back at OT this fall, so maybe they will have some ideas.

Wonder if anyone has any ideas.

Last year his moreh kept telling me that he did not seem to like his lunch-- I would send 2 things I knew he would eat & 1-2 things that I wanted him to try. Hoping that the limited options would push him to try more. It did not work.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 6:07 am
DS 4 YO is also like this just worse . He eats pasta/ pizza/ bread and one type of snack. That's it and not all at the same time ( some weeks only pasta , others only pizza) and rarely he eats a yogurt .
I'm planning to take him to a therapist I know who might be able to help me help him.
I'll be following this thread .

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:22 am
It seems like picky eating not stress

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:29 am
So, Ruchel, do you have any ideas?

Any of your kids have sensory issues that affect their eating, like my description of my kid? What do you do to help them expand their food choices?

Why do you think that stress is not playing a part here?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:31 am
It's not stress, could be sensory.
My ds was always a very bad eater with very little choice foods. But he used to eat little bit chicken and chicken soup. Today he's bigger, he lives on a burnt toast for breakfast, 1 brownie bar for snack and two fresh veggies. or fruit for supper.
It's definitely sensory.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers