Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Amazon credit card

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 8:03 am
Anyone have it? Worth signing up for? I saw they have $50 off if approved

asmileaday

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 8:44 am
I don't know. I always wonder about it. Whenever I make an order they're always showing me how much I'd get off if I open a cc (one time offer). Sometimes it's like $80 and I'm wondering what's the catch?
I'll be following.

little_mage

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:32 am
We have the amazon points card from Chase. It works well for us. The nice thing is that we get points that we can then turn around and use on amazon. I think we've currently got about $60 worth. We buy a lot from amazon, and we've bought some fairly expensive things, so the points add up fast. You do get extra points with purchases on amazon.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 9:54 am
little_mage wrote:
We have the amazon points card from Chase. It works well for us. The nice thing is that we get points that we can then turn around and use on amazon. I think we've currently got about $60 worth. We buy a lot from amazon, and we've bought some fairly expensive things, so the points add up fast. You do get extra points with purchases on amazon.

I'm asking about the rewards visa is it the same thing?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:02 am
There are a number of different Amazon credit cards. I have the Amazon.com store cards which gives 5% off of all purchases. the 5% is taken off right on the cc statement. I also got a $50 credit when I got it. 5% off on everything is a good deal.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:04 am
OOTBubby wrote:
There are a number of different Amazon credit cards. I have the Amazon.com store cards which gives 5% off of all purchases. the 5% is taken off right on the cc statement. I also got a $50 credit when I got it. 5% off on everything is a good deal.

I agree it sounds like a good deal
I guess I'll sign up for it

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:07 am
I have the Amazon card from years ago. It was converted to Chase but I get Amazon rewards.

What could be the catch. If you frequently buy from Amazon, using the point is really handy. I had a few other reward type cards and yiu has to jump through hoops to redeem. With Amazon, I just push the button to apply to an order.

That said, like any credit card, don't get it if you have issues controlling yourself. I have two credit cards and really only use the one tied to Amazon and pay off each month. I got the second one because they were offering a year of free interest and it coincided with my needing $5000 worth of car repairs. 😱 I was extremely careful to make sure of the exact terms and so I figured why not. I could have paid out of savings but thought why not use their money. It is the only charge on that card and it will be paid off well before the deadline because the catch on all 0interest loans is they assume a certain percentage will not pay off in full by the deadline and then wil wind up on the hook for hefty interest charged.

But again, what is your specific concern. Amazon is a very legit company.

busydev

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 10:15 am
I have the amazon chase card and use it for almost everything. 3% on amazon purchases, 2% travel and dining and maybe gas (have a diff card I use for 4% gas) and 1% on everything else.

You can easily redeem the points for cash or statement credit (which I usually do)

They also have gift cards to hotels and restaurants.

You can use the points to buy things directly on amazon but I do NOT recommend doing that. Better get the cash and use that. It sounds nice and it's smart for amazon. If you use points on amazon you don't get 3% on Amazon purchases!!! Better buy on the card and get more points.

Eta I've had the card since 2007 and been happy with it

Optione

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 12:30 pm
I got it when they offered $70 back. I love it. I have a chase account anyway, and always use amazon, so it's nice to get 3% back. No catch.

little_mage

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm asking about the rewards visa is it the same thing?

I'm not a 100% sure. It is a visa card. But I never really looked at the terms and stuff closely, because my husband had it when we got married, so I wound up just getting added to his existing account.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 3:30 pm
Am I the only one who got it with 5% back?

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 3:40 pm
I have it. I buy a lot on Amazon, and I use the credit card only for Amazon purchases and the occasional time I need to use a Visa when a place doesn't accept AMEX. If you shop on Amazon, it's worthwhile. If you only buy on Amazon very occasionally, it's not going to hurt you but it won't give you much reward.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 4:29 pm
busydev wrote:

You can use the points to buy things directly on amazon but I do NOT recommend doing that. Better get the cash and use that. It sounds nice and it's smart for amazon. If you use points on amazon you don't get 3% on Amazon purchases!!! Better buy on the card and get more points.

Eta I've had the card since 2007 and been happy with it

Ooh. I learned something new. You're smart! I was wondering how to get around this.

Is the conversion rate the same?

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 7:57 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Am I the only one who got it with 5% back?

I have the 5% back card. It's great. We order a lot through subscribe & save and get the maximum discount so this way it's even better savings and we pay it off in full every month.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics