Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning Lady and Her Daughter

amother
White

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 2:04 pm
I'm curious what others would do in such a situation :

My cleaning lady brought along her teen daughter to my house today. She told me beforehand and I didn't mind.

Turns out that she's helping her mom clean.

Would you pay the daughter something in addition to paying her mom?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
I'm curious what others would do in such a situation :

My cleaning lady brought along her teen daughter to my house today. She told me beforehand and I didn't mind.

Turns out that she's helping her mom clean.

Would you pay the daughter something in addition to paying her mom?

I don't. But I pay her the same even if it takes faster because there are two hands. So if she's normally there for 5 hours and the job takes 3.5 with her daughter there I still pay for the 5 hours.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 2:12 pm
I don't but when I have had a pair of women come together they charged differently and told me so in the beginning. It was slightly higher per hour but they were finished faster so it was not a large difference in price then if just one had come on their own.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:23 am
I would probably give the daughter a small tip. Like as a thank you for helping out.

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 8:26 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
I would probably give the daughter a small tip. Like as a thank you for helping out.

I did. I gave her $10 in addition to food. Was an expensive clean up but worth it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:36 am
My "cleaning lady" owns her own cleaning service company, brings her own equipment, and employs several people, including her adult daughter. I pay a set fee per weekly cleaning. Sometimes 2 people do it, sometimes 3. Sometimes the daughter is one of them, sometimes she's not. My business is to pay the company for a clean house, and it's the company's business to pay its employees. I would not pay them directly any more than I'd pay my dentist's office staff directly. But your situation may be different.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:06 pm
The woman who comes to us often brings her sons (11 & 4). They're very friendly with our kids and all play together. We come up with extra jobs for her older son because he loves making his own money. Stuff like polishing the silver, and just pay him for the job. She brings helpers with her and when that happens, every hour of work is put down and paid as 2 hours since they do the work in half the time. I see no harm in giving recognition for work done, especially if it's good work, but if it's affecting your pocketbook, that's a different story....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:09 pm
If she didn't say anything to u, I wouldn't pay extra. It could be she is paying her daughter to help finish faster.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
The woman who comes to us often brings her sons (11 & 4). They're very friendly with our kids and all play together. We come up with extra jobs for her older son because he loves making his own money. Stuff like polishing the silver, and just pay him for the job. She brings helpers with her and when that happens, every hour of work is put down and paid as 2 hours since they do the work in half the time. I see no harm in giving recognition for work done, especially if it's good work, but if it's affecting your pocketbook, that's a different story....

That's really nice that you are so welcoming to her kids. Not everyone is like that. It's very hard for some to figure out childcare, especially when paying for it is most of their income and they need every penny.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:33 pm
it's up to cleaning lady to pay her 'helper' ... but it is nice that you tipped her

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:57 pm
There are two separate issues.
1. I think you have an ethical obligation to pay more only if the daughter does additional work or does some of her mom's jobs so that her mom can do additional work.
2. For most cleaning ladies, life presents lots of social challenges (e.g. lack of education, citizenship, language ). If you can afford a few extra dollars, you may be enabling the daughter to take advantage of privileges we take for granted. This is part of being rachmonim bnai rachmonim.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:41 pm
Just make sure her daughter is past the age where child labor issues would come into play in your state.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:58 pm
My cleaning lady ocationally does this. Brings 1 or 2 of her daughters to help. They do nothing major, maybe some light dusting or sweeping. She's wants to teach them the importance of having a good work ethic. I don't pay extra when she brings her girls.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 12:37 am
MamaBear wrote:
That's really nice that you are so welcoming to her kids. Not everyone is like that. It's very hard for some to figure out childcare, especially when paying for it is most of their income and they need every penny.

So kind of you to say. I believe strongly in treating people who work for me no differently than I'd like to be treated,and it has held me in good stead for the most part. This woman and I have become good friends despite the language barrier, and we trust each other immensely. She has a very strong work ethic, so I have to tell her to take it easy every so often. We are currently due a month apart and get to share our experiences. I will probably have to "forbid" her from coming back to work a week postpartum. She will be bringing her baby with once born, and I have noticed that her kids seem to understand the importance of allowing her to get her work done and don't distract her. Our own kids are happy to have the playmates and ask for playdates outside of work. She raises her kids well, and I like my kids to see that.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:17 am
No unless everything was discussed beforehand (and then I'd say I don't plan to pay more as a whole)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics