Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to fly with a newborn baby - all tips requested!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:02 am
I will iyh be flying with my 3 month old on a 7 hour international flight for the first time. I am looking for any tips and helpful advice that you could give me to make this easier. I am trying to avoid buying a second seat for the baby but will if I absoloutely have to.

- Is it very hard to reserve the bassinet?

- How do you manage to hold a baby for so long. My husband will be flying to.

- How do you change diapers on the plane?

- What are good packing tips?

- Should I worry about damage to a car seat if I am checking it?

- Can I put water into bottle at home or wll I need to buy waterbottles after goin through security

rmbg

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:06 am
Do yourself a favor and buy or borrow a baby carrier! Don't rely on a bassinet.

You can change diapers in the bathroom.

You can bring water and tell them it's for the baby.

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:13 am
Pay for the second seat, God forbid there's bad turbulence or something and your precious baby can fly out of your hands no matter how tight your holding.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:18 am
Pack 3 full outfit changes for baby in your carry on bag. Pack an outfit change for yourself too. My babies tended to have poop explosions on planes. Not sure why.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:32 am
I did the Ziploc trick- each complete outfit in a separate bag with excess air squeezed out. At least 3-4 for baby, 1 full for you and maybe an extra shirt. So if an explosion happens you can just grab one (or two if you need) bags and not have to sort through a carryon while wet/stinky.
One Ziploc bag for diapers, a soft pack of wipes and a changing mat. Pack extra diapers elsewhere as you can never have too many! You can then put the wet clothes in the Ziploc!
Burp cloths were used in so many ways...
Are you nursing? Get a giant nursing cover as nursing on takeoff and landing helps with ear pressure in babies. Like chewing gum!

With all of this, still try to keep carryons to a minimum. Less to stress and struggle with when exhausted and you have a cranky baby.

Sometimes if you say the water is for the baby you are ok but YMMV.

Oh and Tylenol for ear pressure pain. And for you/the rest of the plane :-). And chocolate.

Gefiltefish

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:32 am
I've flown with little babies plenty of times! Don't panic. Some airlines give bassinet and some don't. But u do NOT have to buy a second seat for a three month old!! It's young enough to take turns holding him, or bring a bay carrier. Bottles r ok as long as u show it to them by security they will scan it. U can check in a car seat will probably not get ruined. Bring Along a small bottle of Tylenol (show it to security) in case baby cranky! Yvan change diapers in bathroom or I've even done it on my seat for a small baby. Good luck!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 10:50 am
3 month old isn't a newborn!

Flew from NY to Greece when my baby was 3 months

We got the bassinet but baby didn't like it so we didn't use it

Baby carrier is the way to go

Being at least 3 changes of clothes for baby and at least one for you. Blowouts absolutely happen.

Jet lag is awful but after 3 days baby will adjust

bigblueyes

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 2:44 pm
Bring lots of pacis if applicable, lots of clothes changes, 1 or 2 little toys u can dangle in front of baby. This is a very easy age as u can still hold and rock and baby isnt too heavy. Be calm and prepare that thin lipped smile at the ppl who give evil stares when baby cries!!!😃

Smile1234

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 4:54 pm
Changing pad to put on the changing table in the bathroom.
Shopping bags for dirty diapers/dirty clothes

Don't worry because it'll be fine. Three months is a good age to fly with.
Nurse, bottle, or pacific at take off and landing.

N'sMom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 5:09 pm
3 months is actually one of the easiest ages to fly with. Not a teeny newborn, yet doesn't yet need major entertaining. I second (third? fourth?) everyone who said that you should take several changes of clothes for the baby and at least one for yourself. Bring more diapers than you think you will need and LOTS of wipes. Bring extra plastic bags, please. I have never found that they will let you bring water through security, for the baby or not. That's for formula, because they understand that you can't get it in the airport. But you can bring an empty bottle and ask the flight attendant to fill it as soon as you board. In my experience most flight attendants are helpful when there is a baby involved. As long as you nurse during take-off and landing you will be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics