Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to transition kids to time change?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 31 2016, 6:34 pm
Someone posted here awhile ago that she transitions her kids slowly to the time changes by moving their bedtime by a few minutes a time over several weeks. Since the time change is coming up in a little over a month, I'd like tips on exactly how to do that. I tried figuring it out on paper but it's giving me a headache. Here's what I have so far:

Kids are falling asleep around 9 p.m. now in the summertime and waking up at 8 a.m. This is good, because I want them to get at least 11 hours of sleep. (They're 6 and 3 years old.)

However when school starts next week they'll need to be up by 7 a.m. at the latest, preferably 6:45 a.m. That means they'll need to fall asleep at 7:45/8 p.m.

If I move their bedtime back by 10 mins per week, then I'll have moved it back by approximately 1 hour total when we change the clocks. This is where I start losing track of the math.

So by the week following the time change, their bedtime has moved back to 8 p.m. instead of 9 p.m as it is now. But with the time change, 8 p.m. becomes 7 p.m.

I don't want them asleep at 7 p.m because they don't need to be up at 6 a.m.

So at that point (after the time change) what do I do? (This is the part where I start getting a headache and remembering why I hate math and legislation and wishing I live anywhere that doesn't keep this stupid practice.) Do I start pushing their bedtime forward instead? So every week I push it 10 mins forward and 5 weeks later it's back at 7:45?

Is that the most painless way to do it? Is there a better way? Did I mess up the math?

OMG IM SO CONFUSED AND I HATE TIME CHANGES AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH.

Last spring was a nightmare, they were cranky for a full TWO MONTHS after the change and then they adjusted to this super late schedule they have right now.

I want to get ahead of this problem somehow using the power of math but my math powers are sadly lacking. Any experienced mommies out there to help me?

Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 2:47 am
I think the system you have described is way too complicated.

Just wake them up at the time they need to be up, consistently, every day. Do not let them take naps or go to bed earlier than you want them to. It should them three to six weeks to adjust, and then they will go to sleep earlier.

When they are waking up too early, make them go to sleep later. Do not let them take naps or go to sleep early. After three to six weeks, they will start waking up later.

It's a hard three to six weeks bcse they are getting increasingly sleep deprived, but it changed their internal clock. That's what I was told by a very well-respected chinuch professional. Even on Shabbos or other days that they don't have school, you have to stick to the schedule if you want their internal clock to shift.

She says it's the same for adjusting from jet lag.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 3:55 am
The problem is you are trying to "gradually" change their bedtime whilst simultaneously suddenly changing their waking time. If you eat them to start waking up next week 1 and a quarter hours earlier, then alll you can do is try to move their bedtime earlier by 15 a night for the next few days, to have them ready for school. then the clocks will shift and they might wake up early...or not. The other thing that happens is that the nights get longer, and although sunrise will suddenly become earlier when the clock shifts, before that it will be rapidly getting later, which is likely to affect their waking times.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:21 am
They'll adapt, maybe be tired a few days

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 12:41 pm
Thanks for the replies!

So at this point I could easily move their bedtime back by the time school starts so they sleep from 8-7. That's not an issue. They would adjust because they would be waking up earlier.

My issue is what is the most seamless way to get them to adjust to moving the clock, because last time they were cranky and off schedule for months. If there is a way to ease into the schedule that happens after moving the clock, I would do that instead of adjusting their bedtime by an hour now. That's my issue.

Now I'm thinking that maybe the best way to do it is to move their bedtime to 8 p.m. by the time they start school next week. Then I just keep it at 8 p.m for the next month. Then when we move the clock I put them to bed at 7 p.m for a few nights, gradually adjusting back to 8 p.m and I'll just deal with the 6 a.m. wake ups for a few weeks and hope that they don't become a new ingrained habit.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 2:15 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

So at this point I could easily move their bedtime back by the time school starts so they sleep from 8-7. That's not an issue. They would adjust because they would be waking up earlier.

My issue is what is the most seamless way to get them to adjust to moving the clock, because last time they were cranky and off schedule for months. If there is a way to ease into the schedule that happens after moving the clock, I would do that instead of adjusting their bedtime by an hour now. That's my issue.

Now I'm thinking that maybe the best way to do it is to move their bedtime to 8 p.m. by the time they start school next week. Then I just keep it at 8 p.m for the next month. Then when we move the clock I put them to bed at 7 p.m for a few nights, gradually adjusting back to 8 p.m and I'll just deal with the 6 a.m. wake ups for a few weeks and hope that they don't become a new ingrained habit.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Thumbs Up
Just adjust their bedtime now 15 minutes earlier each night until school starts.
And then adjust their bedtime 15 minutes later each night the week before the time change.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children