Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Want guests..
Previous  1  2

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 2:06 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Don't feel pressured to be fancy and make much more. Substitute egg salad for expensive gefilte fish. make chulent, kugel/quinoa, roasted vegis and salad. cake and/or watermelon for dessert. You won't spend too much more if you use a menu like this one. Can you cut a food item out of your weekday shopping to allow for the increase on shabbos?

No I cant because we buy just the basic. Our budget is for everything not just food

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 4:56 am
In every community I have lived in I have always offered to bring something when invited for a meal. Most meals with guests are somewhat potluck. I invite guests because I want their company, most people can handle making one dish or buying and bringing. They aren't accepting your invitation because they are incapable of making a Shabbat meal.

Word the invite as "Why don't we do potluck Shabbat lunch next week - we can share the cooking and have a fun time together!"

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 5:57 am
amother wrote:
Food we buy for shabbos gets reimbursed - it says you should borrow and Hashem will repay

Hi op here. Can you find where it says it?

imasinger

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:15 am
Beitzah 15b. Here's a link; note that one is supposed to use seichel as to how to interpret the comment.

http://halachayomit.co.il/en/P.....=3255

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:22 am
imasinger wrote:
Beitzah 15b. Here's a link; note that one is supposed to use seichel as to how to interpret the comment.

http://halachayomit.co.il/en/P.....=3255

Thanks
But its says "
Certainly, one who can afford basic Shabbat necessities but wishes to purchase special things which are much more expensive which he cannot afford should not do so; rather, one should be content with his lot and eventually, Hashem will shower him with abundance"

Should not do so. Does that mean he shouldnt buy because he cant afford it? Im confused

5mom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 6:23 am
amother wrote:
Food we buy for shabbos gets reimbursed - it says you should borrow and Hashem will repay

I have never heard of this but I would be happy to learn.

What I know suggests otherwise.

There is a gemara (Beitza 16a) that when a person's income is determined for the year, expenses for shabbos and Yom tov aren't included in the number.

Of course, we don't actually know the number Hashem has allocated for us. Also, I don't see how you can get from this gemara to saying that someone should borrow. If anything, we have another gemara עשה שבתך חול ואל תצטרך לבריאות. That is, better weekday food (or 2 meals, not 3) than taking tzedaka. (Pesachim 112a) Chazal assumed that budgeting was normal.

To get back on topic, the op sounds like a wonderful person for wanting to welcome guests even when things are tight. I second those who suggested potluck. It's very very rare to have guests who really can't afford food. They are coming for the company and would probably be very happy to contribute a dish.

ETA , sorry I saw that I crossposted.

naomi2

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 9:50 am
you can totally do potluck! and if you invite 2 couples you will have even less to cook
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics