Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Any ideas for Chicken Rollups without Pastrami?

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 3:59 pm
I searched for Chicken Rollups here and Im seeing Pastrami used on all the Chicken Rollups recipes.

I hate using cold cuts. Any other ideas?

TIA

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:02 pm
You can use kishke. Rice with vegetables. Wild rice and craisons. Spinach. Mashed potatoes. Stuffing. Anything really.

mochacoffee

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:04 pm
My favorite is with kishka inside and duck sauce on top.

momofqts

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:04 pm
Or chopped meat

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:07 pm
Id like a tried recipe because the consistency has to be just right.

Not too hard, or the filling will be tough after its baked. Not too soft, or the rollup wont have a shape, it wil be a flat blob, instead of a round high cylinder.

Mashed potatoes would probably work, but Im looking for something more vegetable-y.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:43 pm
I made one from here ages ago with spinach. Let me see if I can find it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 4:45 pm
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....reast

Middle of the page. It has spinach, pine nuts and raisins.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 5:11 pm
I make with spinach and onions.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:28 pm
A family member hates spinach, so so far its going to be sauteed onions, colored peppers and mushrooms with a little mashed potato to firm it up. Anything else I can use to make it more unusual/tasty?

Last edited by Mevater on Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:32 pm
Mevater wrote:
A family member hats spinach, so so far its going to be sautees onions, colored peppers and mushrooms with a little mashed potato to firm it up. Anything else I can use to make it more unusual/tasty?

That sounds really good just make sure to season the chicken on the inside as well as the stuffing.

sourstix

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 6:55 pm
can someone just tell me what to do to the kishka with this recipe? I would like to try it. and what can I put ontop of the roll ups? I want it to be juicy and not dried out. I think baking it not too long would help

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:01 pm
sourstix wrote:
can someone just tell me what to do to the kishka with this recipe? I would like to try it. and what can I put ontop of the roll ups? I want it to be juicy and not dried out. I think baking it not too long would help

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....35412

elisheva25

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:06 pm
Chopped and sautéed baby portobello mushrooms

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:10 pm
If you use dark chicken cutlets (aka capons) it won't be as dry.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 7:13 pm
I sautee onions, mushrooms, and celery, sometimes add some breadcrumbs, and stuff the cutlets with that. One recipe calls for equal amounts of apricot jam, duck sauce, and bbq sauce to be poured on top.

bp1234

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:14 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I sautee onions, mushrooms, and celery, sometimes add some breadcrumbs, and stuff the cutlets with that. One recipe calls for equal amounts of apricot jam, duck sauce, and bbq sauce to be poured on top.

You stuff this in the center of a cutlet and roll and then pour sauce on top? How do you keep it neat and together? I usually bread the outside but it doesn't come out perfect.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:36 pm
Yes, I roll up, and put the "seam" on the bottom of the pan, and when it cooks, it kind of seals shut. I try to overlap the edges, so don't overstuff. And yes to the sauce poured on top. I bake it covered.

So sautee stuffing, put in cutlet, roll up, put seam side down, pour sauce on top, cover, and bake -- depending on the size of the cutlets, that will vary. Sometimes I make mini ones for my younger kids, so that bakes shorter than a full cutlet. But covered is very forgiving, so a half hour definitely won't dry it out.

ludicrous

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:57 am
I don't have the recipe on me but kosher by design has a chicken roll up recipe with kishke in the middle and honey and bread crumbs on top and it is very good.
I don't like a lot of kishke in the middle, just a moderate amount.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey