Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Attn organized imamothers! What would u do with these items?

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:24 pm
Help me declutter! The surfaces keep piling up high and I just don't know what to do with everything! If something still could have good use, I don't like to throw it away. We are on a tight budget, so I can't afford to throw away and buy again if I need.

Going through clutter on counters and surfaces....here are some things I don't know what to do with.

Some of you are naturally good at organizing, so tell me... what would you do with these items?

- items to be returned or exchanged in stores (busy schedule, can't do it right away)

- kids used knapsacks that are still in good condition and can be reused, but they are not reusing them this year.

- used folders in good condition

- kids new dresses that I bought, don't fit, and can't be returned, that I want to try to sell

- items needing to be toveled

- coupons

- magazines that I haven't read yet

- receipts that I may need to return things from

- keys that I am not sure where they go to

- informative pamphlet from workshop I attended about child safety

- results from my daughter's achievement tests

- gift that I got that I have absolutely no use for

Thank you so much!!!!

gande

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:37 pm
Following...

I have problems with the same exact things. I feel less alone now Wink

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:49 pm
Items to be returned- keep in one bag in the coat closet. This way you will see it and not forget about it.

Knapsacks- look again if you will reuse it. If not chuck em. If yes, keep in a storage closet or drawer

Folders- in school supplies closet

Unused dresses- in the side of the kids closet- try to sell now when it's shopping season

Items that need to be toyveled- don't delay and toyvel today. Procrastinating ain't good for clutter

Coupons- sort and keep in your purse in a little section or wallet there. Make a mental note when to use.

Unread magazines- how many do you have???? Keep in magazine rack and sort weekly. If it's really old, just give it away. You didn't read until now...

Receipts- in bill drawer. Sort weekly and trash those you don't need anymore

Keys- figure out where they come from. If they're really old, trash em. If they are newish, in key bin

Unused gifts, make a mental note what you have and start recycling them. Find a cabinet or closet you can keep until it goes to a lucky recipient. If it's something stupid, just give to a gemach.

Info pamphlet- write in calendar or it it's next week, hang on fridge

Results of dd achievment- I have a bin for such things- report cards, certificates... All
Go in there

I hate clutter as you can see. Whatever wasn't used in the past year or so goes to a lucky poor family. Organizing is an ongoing job. It takes fast for clutter to build up. Then it's harder to get work on....try not to procrastinate doing returns etc. It will be a burden off your head. Best of luck.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
Help me declutter! The surfaces keep piling up high and I just don't know what to do with everything! If something still could have good use, I don't like to throw it away. We are on a tight budget, so I can't afford to throw away and buy again if I need.

Going through clutter on counters and surfaces....here are some things I don't know what to do with.

Some of you are naturally good at organizing, so tell me... what would you do with these items?

- items to be returned or exchanged in stores (busy schedule, can't do it right away)

I would keep in a tote bag in the front closet. Make sure there are receipts in there. And I would note on my calendar the last week I could return them - otherwise they will probably get forgotten in the closet.

- kids used knapsacks that are still in good condition and can be reused, but they are not reusing them this year.

Depends if you have enough storage space to keep them - if yes, put them with the used kids clothing that is too big that you are saving for another child. If you don't have room, don't save it. Storage space is also worth something and knapsacks can be replaced relatively cheaply. Give to a local gemach.

I have a supply box. Full of supplies bought on sale. I keep it on a high shelf. Tape, pens, envelopes, etc- no reason to keep tons in the drawer, It takes up too much room. I keep some handy and replace from my box as needed.

- kids new dresses that I bought, don't fit, and can't be returned, that I want to try to sell
Sell on eBay? Wrap up in a bag so they don't get dirty and put with the paperwork you plan to take care of this week (I always do my weeks paperwork in the same time slot, Sunday Morning works for my schedule)
Sell in a consignment store? Put in the tote bag of things to return in stores

I keep in a bag in my car. Wrapped in newspaper. If you don't have a car, front closet. Another tote bag Wink

- coupons
I keep in a Baggie in my paperwork file. Part of Sunday's paperwork is to plan the grocery shopping. I look through the coupons and work with that.

Pile wherever you like it. I like next to my bed bc my kids rip things in the living Room.

In a file folder in the paperwork file. I go through once a year at tax time. and toss most of them.

I have a jar of those on the top shelf in a kitchen cabinet
I guess I should probably throw them out but I don't care if they're on the top shelf they don't take up valuable real estate

Paperwork pile. After a year or two of saving things like his and ignoring them I tend to throw them out more willingly

My kids each have a box of stuff I save for them

Get rid of it. Sell, regift or donate

Thank you so much!!!!

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:52 pm
In a bag from that store with the receipt in the bag too. On the floor of the coat closet

In a box labeled knapsacks in the garage or storage area

Where do you keep office supplies like envelopes and pens? Put it there.

Hanging in a closet

Make a space In a cabinet in your kitchen for this. You'll always have something to put there.

- coupons
In your purse, only the ones you'll actually use

In a magazine rack

Taped to the wall or inside a cabinet, or pinned on a cork board

In a drawer either with office supplies type stuff or in your kitchen

The rest I don't know.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:52 pm
I'm very not organized and my list is similar.

Hang in a bag from a hook by the front door, or put in car trunk
I hang from hangers in a closet in the basement. Once 2 years go by and they weren't used I either throw out or donate based on condition
If no one will use then throw out (I felt bad doing it). You could use it for household docs.
Put in bag -> in trunk -> donate
Hang in a bag from a hook by the front door, or put in car trunk
- coupons
envelope in pocket book, or store in one of those extra folders
large basket next to the couch
envelope in pocketbook
garbage ?? or put them all in a shoe box on a shelf and label spare keys ?
large basket next to the couch
garbage - unless you need them for services then file them away
Put in bag -> in trunk -> donate, or give to your SIL who regifts them (I have one of those)

If there are a lot of items waiting by the front door you are more likely to take care of them faster.

Now I got to clean my own messes containing very similar items.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:54 pm
I just want to say, it looks like autocorrect changed paperwork Pile to File each time- it's not a file its just a big ole pile and I think that's important. Because there is SO MUCH PAPER and if you think you need to file everything that's very discouraging- and you don't. You just need to contain it somehow. What works for me is to have everything in one place in a big pile and deal with it once a week.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 8:59 pm
For starters, you need some sort of filing system for papers. Each child has a file with all things related to that child, so your daughter's achievement tests would go in there. We also keep things like school pictures, special school papers or projects they want to keep. we have a separate file for health-related papers.

File folder for receipts. If you want to be really organized can get one of those smaller index card size file holders and make separate sections for each type of store. I'm not THAT organized. coupons can be kept together with receipts, also organized by type of store.

We have a folder for instruction manuals, you can make a file for instructional pamphlets you want to keep, although I rarely hold on to such stuff because I can usually find the information online.

Magazines--a magazine rack, but ideally not more than 3 back issues of a magazine. Let's face it, if you fall behind by more than 3 issues you probably will not get around to reading that magazine. I tend to recycle magazines after I've read them. Again if it's really important info I can usually find it online. Jewish magazines are a separate problem because some pages might be sheimos and they tend to pile up. Now that we have a bigger house they just get dumped in the basement but probably that solution will not last long.

As to the rest of the stuff it really depends on how much closet/storage space you have. If you're worried about throwing stuff out that you might need later, it helps to think in terms of how much rent you're paying per square foot. Ask yourself if it's really worth it for you to pay rent for the space that item is taking up. I realized after a certain number of kids that the hassle and space involved in holding on to old clothes (or buying last season's clothes on sale and then trying to remember where they were next season) was not time or cost effective and it was easier and cheaper to buy new (or get "new" hand-me-downs). Unless the kids are really close in age and can use each other's hand-me-downs right away I did not find it worthwhile to hold on to it for years.

Miri1

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 9:00 pm
I save old backpacks if they are still in decent shape - they are good for camp, or when you are in a pinch (like this year, my son's backpack sprung a hole the morning of a big camp trip). They are in a box in our walk up attic.

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Sep 01 2016, 11:24 pm

Item placed in store bag with receipt inside, placed on a shelf next to my door. This way it's in front of my eyes on my way out the door.

In the kid's closet or in drawer in their bedroom.

school folders? Placed in the kids backpack or binder? Not sure about this one. Or placed in a desk drawer.

Hanging in the closet on the side or folded neatly (so it won't get wrinkled) in a bag in the kid's bedroom closet shelf.

Again in a bag in a drawer or cabinet in kitchen.

- coupons

In your wallet

On the coffee table or side table drawer

There a lot of options for this one but I prefer putting them in an envelope marked receipts in kitchen drawer.

On a key rack or in a basket with the used daily keys

File cabinet? Or bookshelf

File cabinet

Hmm shelf in your closet?

Thank you so much!!!![/quote]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics