Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
UPK and Lactaid

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Sep 02 2016, 2:47 pm
My son will be attending a Yeshiva-based UPK starting next week and they will be providing breakfast and lunch daily. My son drinks Lactaid due to adverse reaction to milk which affects his behavior. We've tried giving him soy/rice/almond milk, but he won't take it and he doesn't like cereal dry. We've tried drops and pills, but have not seen the same results as the milk. Can anyone suggest how we can get him milk in school?

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
My son will be attending a Yeshiva-based UPK starting next week and they will be providing breakfast and lunch daily. My son drinks Lactaid due to adverse reaction to milk which affects his behavior. We've tried giving him soy/rice/almond milk, but he won't take it and he doesn't like cereal dry. We've tried drops and pills, but have not seen the same results as the milk. Can anyone suggest how we can get him milk in school?

When you say "drinks Lactaid", do you mean Lactaid brand reduced-lactose milk? Can he drink regular milk with Lactaid (or generic) drops or tablets? That might be a solution.

yogabird

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:24 pm
Send the milk with him and ask them to keep it in the fridge.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:31 pm
imasoftov wrote:
When you say "drinks Lactaid", do you mean Lactaid brand reduced-lactose milk? Can he drink regular milk with Lactaid (or generic) drops or tablets? That might be a solution.

We've tried the drops and it doesnt have quite the same affect. I know that some schools will not administer "medication" without a nurse.

Lactaid has NO lactose vs. drops/pills help the person digest the lactose. Not sure why this seems to make a difference b/c he can have cheese and yogurt without an issue.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:33 pm
yogabird wrote:
Send the milk with him and ask them to keep it in the fridge.

I spoke to the teacher and she wasn't sure that was an option, and not sure the school would allow it b/c Lactaid is cholov stam and there's no fridge in the classroom.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:40 pm
Does it come in drink boxes?
Can you send it daily in a thermos?

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 6:57 pm
I'm having the same exact issue with my toddlers Jewish day care! I think they said if we can get a doctors note they would allow it. Can you see if this is an option for you?

cm

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
We've tried the drops and it doesnt have quite the same affect. I know that some schools will not administer "medication" without a nurse.

Lactaid has NO lactose vs. drops/pills help the person digest the lactose. Not sure why this seems to make a difference b/c he can have cheese and yogurt without an issue.

There are drops that you add to the milk, not taken as medicine. Wait overnight and poof! Homemade lactose-reduced milk. Add more drops for lactose-free milk. Maybe they will agree to add this to a portion of the milk served at school. Look for "lacteeze" on Amazon.

mamaof2

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 7:17 pm
Upk by definition is universal prek . they cannot discriminate kids based on race religion disabilities etc. Therefore , they MUST find an accommodation for your child that has an allergy. After prek hrs, it's private and they can make a stink. But the 6 hrs and 20 Mts of Upk is paid for by govt and they cannot refusee such a matter .

jofred

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 7:59 pm
are the lacteez drops kosher?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 8:04 pm
amother wrote:
Does it come in drink boxes?
Can you send it daily in a thermos?

This is what I'm trying to find out. I'd really like to avoid a thermos if at all possible. I have bad memories of milk in my thermos as a kid leaking, and what if he leaves it in the carpool van (over Shabbos? yuk!)

I know that they can't "refuse" my son this, but I'm trying to find a reasonable way of doing this without having to make a "big stink"

cm

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 8:08 pm
jofred wrote:
are the lacteez drops kosher?

Yes - COR of Canada. This link shows the item listed as pareve, but the package in my fridge is marked dairy. Best to contact the company or kashrut agency (or both) for current status.

http://www.cor.ca/productSearc.....teeze

jofred

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:27 am
wow. that's great. thanks for the info.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:44 am
Lactaid does not come in individual servings unfortunately.
Sippy cups really are spill proof when sealed correctly. I sent a cup of dd's favorite drink every day when she was in nursery.
In UPK the school will have to accept the Lactaid milk.
Next year there will be no convincing the school to allow the lactaid so it makes sense at some point to get ds used to doing without milk before pre-1A. Start introducing sandwiches, pancakes and other breakfast items. You will probably have to send breakfast along next year instead of ds taking from the yeshiva provided breakfast.
Some people do OK with the Golden Flow fat free 99% lactose free milk but it didn't work for us since part of the intolerance was linked to fat free vs full fat.

maliza

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:03 pm
You can buy a pouch sealer at any baby store - they are used for breast milk or pureed foods, for freezing and travel. fill the pouch with just the right amount of lactaid milk, seal it and its ready for school. no leaks. The teacher or aide will likely have to open and pour the pouch for your son.

I understand the UPK program provides breakfast for the children, but perhaps your son will consider occasionally bringing his own - for instance waffles with fruit or a muffin; then you can avoid the milk issue on occasion.

One last idea is purchasing a personal mini-frig. I believe they can be found as cheaply as $60 or thereabouts. They are very small and the teacher may be willing to accommodate it in the classroom (obviously needs an outlet). Try Target, Walmart, Amazon, Ebay, etc...

yogurts contain probiotics and the processing itself may be responsible for breaking down some of the lactose -- allowing your son to enjoy yogurt; certain cheeses have low levels of lactose.

I haven't read the book, but "Hold the Cheese Please" is a story about a little boy in school with lactose intolerance. (the kids make fun of him, he tries to fit in, the school nurse and the teacher help him out and everyone learns from it.)

Hope he has a great year in UPK!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers