Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Collecting FULL tuition information nationwide
1  2  3  Next

devo1982

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:22 pm
This is making the rounds on FB, and I posted it in the current tuition thread, but I think it's important enough to merit its own thread. This spreadsheet is attempting to compile nationwide data on ALL associated school costs - tuition, building costs, etc. You can't solve a problem without demonstrable proof of how bad the situation has gotten, so if you care to contribute info, please do so here. Please note there is one page for ES, one for HS.

https://docs.google.com/spread.....73351

Maya

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:31 pm
How exactly is anyone proposing to solve this "problem"? Are the parents willing to accept lesser standards of education and resources in exchange for lower tuition costs? I highly doubt that, since most parents in these kind of schools want this level of education for their children, the cutting edge technology and other resources that are offered, and the competent and excellent teachers that are hired.

So what is the solution?

devo1982

Post Sat, Sep 03 2016, 10:37 pm
Maya wrote:
How exactly is anyone proposing to solve this "problem"? Are the parents willing to accept lesser standards of education and resources in exchange for lower tuition costs? I highly doubt that, since most parents in these kind of schools want this level of education for their children, the cutting edge technology and other resources that are offered, and the competent and excellent teachers that are hired.

So what is the solution?

All good points, and I don't profess to have the answer, but I do think that the status quo isn't sustainable, and that's just based on anecdotal evidence. At the very least, it gives a transparent look at the true, total cost, which always seems hard to pin down.

SRS

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 5:49 pm
Maya wrote:

So what is the solution?

I don't think there is a solution. The problem is years in the making. But perhaps it is time to develop something different like intensive Judaic summer programs, after or before public or online school programs, home school programs for Judaics.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:16 pm
Thank you! This was so helpful to me!

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:24 pm
Maya wrote:

So what is the solution?

Of course everyone wants these things. But they should be optional, not an imposed often unrealistic fee.

I'm all for enrichment classes and high tech equipment, but I think there needs to be a more basic option available for those that simply can't afford the current tuitions. If a parent chooses to invest further for extracurricular and advanced classes, kol hakavod!

I'd bet a lot of money that living in a stressed and impoverished home will have more of a negative long term effect on a child than a somewhat stripped down education. Children do need to be given the tools they need to succeed, but parents need to be able to provide food shelter and comfortable lifestyles at the same time, and have choices about educational options.

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:26 pm
SRS wrote:
I don't think there is a solution. The problem is years in the making. But perhaps it is time to develop something different like intensive Judaic summer programs, after or before public or online school programs, home school programs for Judaics.

I wish there was more of an effort in developing those innovative programs. There are so many excellent public schools available, and if there were well run after school Talmud Torah classes, at least for young children, that would open up so many options.

It worked for our grandparents, and I'm sure there's a way to pull this off if it became socially acceptable.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:31 pm
Public school comes with its own host of problems.
It's social suicide to have the wrong shoes, belt, book bag, etc.
it adds up to thousands of dollars just to keep up.
Don't think it won't happen to your children if they were there.

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Public school comes with its own host of problems.
It's social suicide to have the wrong shoes, belt, book bag, etc.
it adds up to thousands of dollars just to keep up.
Don't think it won't happen to your children if they were there.

Um, the problems you described actually seem more prevalent in frum schoo, at least in the one I attended 😃.

Public schools vary tremendously. Some are excellent, some are terrible. It would be great if those living in districts with good options could actually take advantage of them.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:35 pm
dimyona wrote:
Um, the problems you described actually seem more prevalent in frum schoo, at least in the one I attended 😃.

Public schools vary tremendously. Some are excellent, some are terrible. It would be great if those living in districts with good options could actually take advantage of them.

Yes we have those problems on a much lower scale. Nobody I know spends 500 dollars on a belt.
My coworkers who send to public school spend that kind of money on clothing so their kids could fit in.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:35 pm
dimyona wrote:
Of course everyone wants these things. But they should be optional, not an imposed often unrealistic fee.

I'm all for enrichment classes and high tech equipment, but I think there needs to be a more basic option available for those that simply can't afford the current tuitions. If a parent chooses to invest further for extracurricular and advanced classes, kol hakavod!

I'd bet a lot of money that living in a stressed and impoverished home will have more of a negative long term effect on a child than a somewhat stripped down education. Children do need to be given the tools they need to succeed, but parents need to be able to provide food shelter and comfortable lifestyles at the same time, and have choices about educational options.

I agree. There should be a basic track for students from low income families. They have less experienced teachers, no trips or enrichment activities, everyone shares a few textbooks and no computer access.

And an enriched track for those who pay full tuition.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:37 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I agree. There should be a basic track for students from low income families. They have less experienced teachers, no trips or enrichment activities, everyone shares a few textbooks and no computer access.

Are you being serious? shock

happybeingamom

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 7:25 pm
dimyona wrote:
I wish there was more of an effort in developing those innovative programs. There are so many excellent public schools available, and if there were well run after school Talmud Torah classes, at least for young children, that would open up so many options.

It worked for our grandparents, and I'm sure there's a way to pull this off if it became socially acceptable.

It did?

The majority of my fathers cousins are not frum and a good portion of their kids kids married Non-Jews. This was the fairly typical outcome at that time.

My grandparents sent their children to Yeshiva when it was possible (Bais Yaakov did not exist yet)

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 7:30 pm
ectomorph wrote:

The purpose of education is to give everyone, regardless of their parents finances, a great education so they can succeed in life.

I have a relative whose parents couldn't pay tuition. My inlaws helped out tremendously. Now he is in a position where he can pay full tuition, while my kids in the same school are on scholarship.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:04 pm
Just checked the data for the school my kids attend and the data is inaccurate.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:25 pm
dimyona wrote:

I'm sure it worked for some. But none of my mother's cousins who attended public school have shomer shabbos children today. All who didn't attend public school have frum children.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:35 pm
lets not bury our heads in the sad. My grandparents sent their four kids to public school because there were no Jewish schools - just Talmud Torah in the afternoon. One child intermarried and all of her kids intermarried. One child married Jewish and his son intermarried. One child married Jewish and all of their kids married Jewish (not frum). My father is the only one who stayed frum. That's why I work so hard to try to pay tuition ( I still cant)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:18 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Just checked the data for the school my kids attend and the data is inaccurate.

So edit it!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:16 pm
Bump.
I would love more info... LA is missing tons of schools and info. I want to know what to expect in the coming year(s) when I need to enroll my kids. Knowing the starting price I can better judge how much and If I will need scholarships (both. DH and I should be making more within the next few years. I am in school so our income should increase when I find a job!)

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:53 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
It did?

The majority of my fathers cousins are not frum and a good portion of their kids kids married Non-Jews. This was the fairly typical outcome at that time.

My grandparents sent their children to Yeshiva when it was possible (Bais Yaakov did not exist yet)

My Chassidish grandfather attended public school in Hungary, including on Shabbos, when they would go but refrain from writing down the lessons. He wasn't the only one.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics