Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Can we live in Manhattan with an income of 160K?
Previous  1  2

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
OP has never been to WH and I think it's pretty unfair to keep focusing on the fact that it's becoming gentrified and gloss over the fact that people in your building have gotten robbed. While not the worst, WH is one of the more unsafe places in the city (hence why it's so affordable). That being said, there is a great Jewish community there. Trade offs....

I had no brush ins with crime in years of living in wash heights, but several brush ins with violent crime on the uws. I really don't find wash heights dangerous. There is a big difference in ambience and safety between sides. op, look for the bennet side, not the YU side.

cbg

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 11:22 pm
I don't live in NY, but you asked if you can afford to live there.
A good rule of thumb is you need to make an income of at least 4 to 5 times your rent. So say you are making around $12,000 a month. You can afford to live in an area that rent is between $2500 and $3000 if you live frugally. Is it possible to find an apartment in WH for this price?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:47 am
Yup I've realized already that I can't have both a short commute and charm with the given budget... It doesn't bother me that much. There are ugly projects with some unsavory people in EY too. Many Americans are worried about riding busses and crossing the green line, but I do it all the time. I guess I'm just used to the ugly and scary that I know Smile

We'd both be working on the west side so the commute times according to Google maps look quite decent.

Thanks ladies, you've been very helpful!

ROFL

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:46 am
For 160,000 you will do ok in the city.
Plenty of people earn much less and live in the heights.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 10:37 am
Posting as a WH resident:

For $2,500/monthly you could find a 2 bedroom apartment in Washington Heights, no problem (we pay closer to half of that, but you have a lot of trouble matching that). And a lot of the 2 BRs around in the elevator buildings (I'm thinking Bennett Ave./Hudson Heights side) have charm, large rooms, and definitely laundry in the building.

Noise in the neighborhood is very dependent on exactly where you live. On the YU side, it's often a problem unless you live in one of the buildings that is primarily Jewish. On the Bennett/Hudson Heights side, most people don't complain of noise problems.

I don't think mice and rats are more common in the Heights than on the UWS. I've never had one in the apartment (lived here 8.5 years), and I've practically never heard friends having to deal with them either. Although I have seen them, live and dead, on the street on occasion.

All of Washington Heights is walking distance to Fort Tryon Park (I would go every week when living on the YU side, even). It's fantastic! And parents definitely feel safe in the parks and playgrounds during daytime hours. In the mornings, Wallenberg Playground by YU is mostly Jewish kids and their moms/nannies.

Jewish preschoolers usually go to Breuers (YRSRH) or Shalom Yeladim. Breuers is more right-wing and feeds into the day school; Shalom Yeladim has Hebrew-speaking teachers and ends at pre-Keindergarten. Breuers is cheaper but also fewer hours; Shalom Yeladim has full, extended-day hours that are great for people who work full-time. Shalom Yeladim also starts with 6-week-olds while Breuers starts with 2-year-olds. Parents that I know are very, very happy in both places. Most people pick a place based less on ideology (projects and songs are all the same for teeny kids) and more based on which set-up fits the family's schedule and convenience better.

The biggest problem with Washington Heights is that the community is mostly transient. Many people never plan to stay, and most people who can afford to rent in the neighborhood cannot afford to buy. If you're looking for a convenient life for a few years, though, it's a wonderful option.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries