Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Macadamia-Crusted Cod with Mango-Mint Salsa

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 3:09 pm
This was very easy and very tasty. The combo of macadamia and panko made a nice crust. The srichcha adds a nice note of piquancy. You can sub any hit sauce for srichcha.

I used frozen mangos as I be never mastered peeling and dicing a fresh mango. Very Happy

Macadamia-Crusted Cod with Mango-Mint Salsa

Source: America's Test Kitchen - Simple Weeknight Favorites.

Serves 4

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: A nutty-crunchy crust does wonders for lean, mildly flavored cod without requiring a lot of work. By combining meaty macadamia nuts with panko bread crumbs, we create a crust that’s both rich-tasting and super crisp. (Hazelnuts or cashews could be used in place of the macadamia nuts.) Mayonnaise is a favorite in the test kitchen for gluing on coatings, and here we add fiery sriracha, an Asian hot chili sauce, to the mayo, making it flavorful as well as functional. While the fish is in the oven, we put together a simple mango salsa featuring mint and lime juice, plus a jalapeño chile for a fresh hit of heat. A side of Easy White Rice rounds out the meal.

½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 3 tablespoons juice (2 limes)
Salt and pepper
4 (6- to 8-ounce) skinless cod fillets, ¾ to 1 inch thick
2 large mangos, peeled, pitted, and cut into ¼-inch dice
1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh mint

1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine nuts, panko, and oil in medium bowl. Whisk mayonnaise, sriracha, lime zest and 1 tablespoon juice, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in small bowl.

2. Pat fish dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, and arrange in 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly over top of each fillet. Sprinkle panko mixture evenly over mayonnaise, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake until fish flakes apart when gently prodded with paring knife and registers 140 degrees, 12 to 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, toss mangos, jalapeño, mint, and remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with fish.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:52 pm
sounds tasty ...

the way you cut a mango is slicing down either side of the pit ... then criss-cross cutting and flipping over & pushing out ... really quite easy - save the pit for sucking

reserve washed pit & let it dry & colour it to look like a fishy for the kiddies

Last edited by greenfire on Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
sounds tasty ...

the way you cut a mango is slicing down either side of the pit ... then criss-cross cutting and flipping over & pushing out ... really quite easy - save the pit for sucking

I know the theory 😀😀🤔but when I attempt, I create a mess with more mango squooshed and juice running around. Now an avocado I can carve up nicely. 😀

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:03 pm
maybe try this geek style I just found

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:07 pm
That is an amazing tip but I once cut myself very badly when a glass shattered while I was washing it so I would be afraid to push in a glass.

My mangos would never cut that cleanly anyone as they tend to gush as soon as I cut into them. I live fresh mangos but I have to eat them in private.

I think I am condemned to a life of frozen mango for salsa. 😀😀

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:10 pm
they sell jarred mango salsa - I imagine tastier than frozen ...

check this guy out he cuts it 4 ways ... maybe one is good enough & put a bowl underneath to catch the juices

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:13 pm
The frozen mango is pretty good to use for for a salsa. I thaw and drain so it's nit quite as al dente as fresh.

They sell containers of mango salsa but it's obscenely expensive for a tiny amount

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:15 pm
sorry I misread that you bought already prepared salsa & now I realize you make it from the frozen fruit

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:27 pm
greenfire wrote:
sorry I misread that you bought already prepared salsa & now I realize you make it from the frozen fruit

No problem. Using fresh mango would be better because the fresh is a bit firm and so the texture is nicer but I am a mango klutz so the frozen is a good compromise and makes it so much faster to prep.

It's on a fairly extensive list of things I won't attempt like deep fat frying, making candy or making any kind of rolled dough item. 😀😀
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics