Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What time is Bedtime for eight year old

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 3:34 pm
With school starting this week I wanted to re establish a "school night "bedtime for my 8 year old son ..... I was wondering if 8 or 8:15 would be fair ? He is the oldest which is why I can still get away with an earlier bedtime (as it is he has the privilege of staying up the longest ) but just want to make sure I'm on target because he would definitely be upset if his classmates go to sleep a lot later and put up a fuss

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 3:39 pm
8:15 sounds good.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 4:31 pm
My 8 year old goes to bed between 7:30 and 8, depending if it's a shower night or if something is going on. If she goes to bed earlier then she can read in bed for a little while.

tf

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:52 pm
Sounds right. Besides, rebbeim eventually get involved with charts and so on immediately after yomtov. So, even if other kids have later bedtime, he'll be right on target.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:02 pm
the 6, 10, and 2 11 year olds in our house start bed time at around 7:40pm. The 6 and 10 year old have lights out at 8 and the 11 year olds are in their rooms by 8 with lights out by 8:30.

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:04 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
My 8 year old goes to bed between 7:30 and 8, depending if it's a shower night or if something is going on. If she goes to bed earlier then she can read in bed for a little while.

Same for my ten year old. He can read in bed until 8:30.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:06 pm
thanks not op but im feeling better.
kids in my sons grade go to sleep at crazy hours and he feels babyish going to sleep "early"

Fabulous

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:07 pm
my 7 year old has a 7:30-8 bedtime and from most of his friends (some older), it seems the norm.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 7:07 pm
Op here ....Thanks everyone for your input ! Just wanted to make sure I'm not instituting an early "babyish " bedtime for his age ! (as he would call it )

Another mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:37 am
My dd (13) has had the same bed time for years!!!!
She wants to go to bed then (8:45-9) cuz her bus leaves at 6:50. I guess it depends on when they must get up.

Tel Tzion Ima

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:58 am
Different kids need different amounts of sleep. It can be hard to have a bedtime earlier than your friends, but each kid's needs are different. If he can stay up later, while still getting up on time and not being tired, then great. But if staying up later means he's not getting up on time and/or is tired all day, he needs to go to bed earlier, regardless of what time his friends go to bed.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 4:54 am
If my children went to bed the same time as their friends, I wouldn't be able to get them up in the morning. They go to bed around 10, but it's cultural. I don't know how they do it though. My children do tell me that some kids are really tired in school.

My 8 year old and 6 year old go to bed the same time. The 8 year old is asleep before the 6 year old. Like the previous poster said, each child/person is different with how much sleep they need. Don't worry about the friends. You need to do what you need to do.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 1:30 pm
10ish? 9? I can't handle early dinner or bedtime. Cultural?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:12 am
Ruchel wrote:
10ish? 9? I can't handle early dinner or bedtime. Cultural?
wow, ruchel, you'r saying that your 8 year old goes to sleep at 10 pm? and is able to get up for school in the morning?
I dont know if thats cultural or just different Wink

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:22 am
Sometimes even the 4 year old isn't sleeping yet lol... and they manage in school I swear LOL AFAIK they're on the late side of their friends, but not unusually so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children