Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fridges with Shabbos mode
1  2  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 5:40 pm
I went out today looking for fridges with Shabbos mode. I was using the star-k website to look up models, and I had an extremely difficult time finding any models in stores that matched the star k list.

Does anyone here have a fridge (preferably french door) with Shabbos mode? Can you PLEASE share info about models and where you purchased?

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:00 pm
the ge profile line, frigidaire gallery, and kitchenaid all have french door fridges with sabbath mode on models that are around 27 cu. ft.

they can be purchased pretty much anywhere; lowes, home depot, best buy, local appliance stores, etc

I just bought a fridge from marine park appliances in brooklyn. If you live in an area with frum appliance stores, you can check out the models, although most any store will have at least one or two of the above. I've seen the fridigaire, GE, and 2 types of kitchenaid at lowes, and the GE at best buy. although there are a number of models with sabbath mode by these brands (and a couple of others), the stores pretty much only stock the 26.8+ cu ft capacity of these fridges.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:12 pm
We just bought a fridge this last week that did not have Shabbos mode, and DH found directions online for how to set up magnets that make the LED lights turn off for Shabbos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 04 2016, 6:24 pm
AJMadison.com has "Sabbath mode" as a filter: https://www.ajmadison.com/b.ph.....09844

On the linked page you can select "Star-K certified" in the left column if you want to narrow the Sabbath mode models further. I purchased my GE French door fridge with Sabbath mode from them.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:15 am
nicole81 wrote:
the ge profile line, frigidaire gallery, and kitchenaid all have french door fridges with sabbath mode on models that are around 27 cu. ft.

they can be purchased pretty much anywhere; lowes, home depot, best buy, local appliance stores, etc

I just bought a fridge from marine park appliances in brooklyn. If you live in an area with frum appliance stores, you can check out the models, although most any store will have at least one or two of the above. I've seen the fridigaire, GE, and 2 types of kitchenaid at lowes, and the GE at best buy. although there are a number of models with sabbath mode by these brands (and a couple of others), the stores pretty much only stock the 26.8+ cu ft capacity of these fridges.

Are you sure the whole GE profile line does? I'm pretty much only seeing GE monogram built-in fridges on the star-k site. If I could expand my search to include all the BR profile fridges that may help.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:17 am
imasinger wrote:
We just bought a fridge this last week that did not have Shabbos mode, and DH found directions online for how to set up magnets that make the LED lights turn off for Shabbos.

We read the star-k article and were a bit intimidated by all the bells and whistles that would need to be addressed, so we were hoping to just get one with a Shabbos mode setting so we wouldn't have to tinker with it. I'm impressed buy your husband's handiness Smile

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:20 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
AJMadison.com has "Sabbath mode" as a filter: https://www.ajmadison.com/b.ph.....09844

On the linked page you can select "Star-K certified" in the left column if you want to narrow the Sabbath mode models further. I purchased my GE French door fridge with Sabbath mode from them.

This is super helpful, thanks. I wonder what non-star-k shabbos mode is, maybe someone else is certifying that or the company has just made the adjustments - do you know?

Which GE fridge do you have? Do you know the model #?

Thanks everyone!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:35 am
We have frigidaire gallery french door refrigerator with pullout freezer ice maker and shabbos mode. We are very happy with it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:35 am
I have the GE GNE29GGHB. It's huge, nearly 29 cubic feet: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-......html

It is self-certified. I must have called GE 4 times before buying it to make sure it had a Sabbath mode and to make sure their Sabbath mode disabled all the right stuff — it was a brand new model when I purchased it.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:39 am
It is best to stick to one certified by the Star-K. That way you know that a reputable agency is certifying that sabbath mode works properly (in fact; they've recalled some appliances after finding problems). If it is self-certified, you are just trusting the non-Jewish manufacturer who certainly isn't expert in hilchos shabbos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:50 am
OOT, overall I agree with you.

For engineering types, here are Star-K's pre-purchase guidelines for refrigerators: http://www.star-k.org/articles.....vice/

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 6:51 am
Buying a company self-certified Shabbos mode appliance is kind of like eating food with only a "K" on it when the K is the company stating it is kosher.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 7:06 am
Partially true, but you can see most of what's being disabled when you open and close the door in Shabbos mode, and I have always found engineering departments to be especially helpful with these kinds of questions.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:41 am
We are leaning towards this one: https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-......html

Does anyone have this fridge?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:48 am
imasinger wrote:

On many fridges (not all ), the sensors are for more than just the lights. Therefore, it's not only the lights that are an issue, but I.e. the compressor can turn on when the door gets opened. When I was shopping for a fridge, the salesperson told me for which models it's enough to just shut the lights and what has other hidden sensors that can be more if an issue.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 12:41 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We have frigidaire gallery french door refrigerator with pullout freezer ice maker and shabbos mode. We are very happy with it.

Same and very happy with it.

Do you turn off the ice make before Shabbos?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:12 pm
amother wrote:
On many fridges (not all ), the sensors are for more than just the lights. Therefore, it's not only the lights that are an issue, but I.e. the compressor can turn on when the door gets opened. When I was shopping for a fridge, the salesperson told me for which models it's enough to just shut the lights and what has other hidden sensors that can be more if an issue.

You may be correct but as they just purchased the fridge isn't it better that you DON'T tell them about ask this stuff? Because if you don't know it's happened and you don't intend to do it then I think their is virtually no issue.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Are you sure the whole GE profile line does? I'm pretty much only seeing GE monogram built-in fridges on the star-k site. If I could expand my search to include all the BR profile fridges that may help.

You know, I didn't even realize the ge profile line was self-certified. The frum appliance stores definitely push this model, but you would need to do the research as to whether or not it covers everything the star k says it should.

I'm positive though that the standard depth 27.8 cu ft models have a sabbath mode. I was strongly considering that model (with standard ice and water) and my friend has one with the built in keurig. This is the one my frum appliance guy was recommending: PFE28KSKSS but again, I ultimately went with kitchenaid.

And by the way, I found deciding on a fridge to be one of the most agonizing decisions I've made in a long time. Every single sabbath mode refrigerator has such inconsistent reviews. I wish you mazel with whichever model you purchase!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Same and very happy with it.

Do you turn off the ice make before Shabbos?

Yes it's off for shabbos.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 3:26 pm
On my Kitchenaid (which is Star-K certified) the ice maker automatically turns off when you turn Shabbos mode on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen