Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fridges with Shabbos mode
Previous  1  2

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:04 pm
nicole81 wrote:
And by the way, I found deciding on a fridge to be one of the most agonizing decisions I've made in a long time. Every single sabbath mode refrigerator has such inconsistent reviews. I wish you mazel with whichever model you purchase!

Oh my gosh, yes. Exactly how I feel.
Thank you all for your input!

baschabad

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 8:50 pm
We have the GE 28.5 cf fridge- French door bottom freezer.
http://products.geappliances.c.....GMHES

A funny thing about shabbos mode:
At Home Depot, the employee who was helping us davka looked online to see if it had shabbos mode. Online it said it did.

When we got it, I read through the manual, but as is the case with many of these things, the manual referred to three variations on the same model, but with different control panels. In the manual it indicated how to activate Sabbath mode but on a different control panel than the one we had!

I called the company and they looked into it. The person I spoke to informed me that the model I had did NOT have sabbath mode.

Anyway, I was fiddling around with the controls, trying different button combinations, and I discovered that I COULD activate sabbath mode after all!

We have been very happy with the fridge, and shabbos mode is great.

finprof

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:25 pm
Why not just buy whatever fridge you want and take out the lights? Am I missing something here?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:37 pm
finprof wrote:
Why not just buy whatever fridge you want and take out the lights? Am I missing something here?

Alas, the good ol' days when we just unscrewed the light bulb and never worried about it again are no more!

Nearly all the new refrigerators are digital. Computerized. Digital displays. Alarms. Compressors that keep track of door opening time. It's not so simple.

baschabad

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 9:54 pm
finprof wrote:

When you're in the market for a good fridge, lights might be a high priority!
Our fridge has multiple LED lights that slowly brighten when you open the door so that you don't kill your eyes open in the fridge in a dark kitchen.

There's no way I'm taking those babies out!!

Miri1

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:07 pm
Subzero has Star K Shabbath mode on many models.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 10:54 pm
We got GE's GNE26GGDBB with a GE-certified Sabbath mode. When we got it, I couldn't find any information in the manual on how to activate the Sabbath mode and had to call GE to find out. What we've discovered is that there's a glitch in the programming that causes the Sabbath mode to turn off once it's activated for (we're not sure exactly, but it seems about) 72 hours. We've had the lights etc. turn back on on the third day of a three-day Y"T, which left us scrambling for a non-Jew to turn the Sabbath mode back on.... After the first time it happened I called GE and a technician came to fix the programming. I really need to call them back since it happened again; I just haven't been in a rush because I know there are no 3-day yamim tovim for a while.

anon bec I've told pple this story IRL.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:17 pm
Your fridge appears to be the previous version of the fridge I own, and yours has been discontinued. We have not encountered that problem.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:37 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Subzero has Star K Shabbath mode on many models.

A big problem with refrigerators has been that until fairly recently only very pricey brands/models like Sub-Zero, GE Monogram, and built-in KitchenAids had a Sabbath mode. Frum consumers had to choose between the very limited selection of high-end fridges with a Sabbath mode, low-end models that still used older technology, and refrigerators that needed workarounds to be usable on Shabbos and YomTov.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen