Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Nervous about upcoming eye doctor appointment

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Sep 05 2016, 11:12 pm
Back in March, my 6 year old daughter failed her school vision screening. I took her to an optometrist and he said her vision was borderline (20/40). He didn't want to prescribe glasses just yet, rather he wanted to wait and see her again in 6 months and possibly determine if she needs glasses then. Well 6 months is here and my daughter has an appointment with the optometrist this upcoming Sunday. I am so nervous. I know I shouldn't be, especially since I have been wearing glasses since I'm 4. I know I sound so silly, but if she does in fact need glasses, I don't want to cover up her face. It will be do different seeing her in glasses. Anyone else have kids with glasses and felt the same way? I really hope she wont need glasses!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:15 am
Just found out my preschooler needs glasses feel same way abt covering up face! I was so sad .. Slowly getting over it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:43 am
Make sure YOU like the glasses. She's old enough to not need round ones, so you can get a cute style.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 5:20 am
I totally relate! When my daughter was less than 2, she was already nearsighted. We had to go back every 6-9 months since to see when it's bad enough to need glasses, and I dread it every time! So far, we've made it to preschool without glasses yet.

The truth is, I was pretty upset about it until my friend's baby was recently born blind and has already had eye surgery at just a few weeks old. Glasses suddenly didn't seem so bad anymore. . .

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 5:45 am
Iymnok wrote:
Make sure YOU like the glasses. She's old enough to not need round ones, so you can get a cute style.

OP's child is old enough to have a real opinion. I still remember how annoyed I was to have to wear glasses I found to be ugly.

When my six year old got glasses, I got what she liked, as long as they were within the realm of social acceptability and therapeutically appropriate.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:46 am
let me tell you that as a kid who wore glasses starting at 4 ... it is VERY IMPORTANT for you not to make your child feel weird about wearing glasses ...

one of my friend's mother once made a comment to how funny one eye looks [near-sighted in one eye far-sighted in the other] and I stopped wearing eyeglasses for many of my teenage years

eyeglasses won't make her ugly - they have a zillion cute ones out there in this day

it's a brocha to be able to see & your child sounds like she has no out of the ordinary visual issues !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children