Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dishwashers for Shabbos
1  2  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:50 am
I am the OP of the Shabbos mode fridge thread.
We also need a dishwasher!

We were all settled on a Kitchenaid model with great reviews and all the features we wanted, but in the stores they don't have them plugged in. So I contacted Kitchenaid and asked if it can be opened and closed on Shabbos without activating any lights or beeps. Nope. All of their dishwashers have a "sleep mode" so that when the door is opened the control display comes on.

I absolutely must be able to stash away my dirty dishes in the dishwaser on Shabbos. I cannot look at them all Shabbos and have them fill up my sink. (I stick them in the dishwasher haphazardly and then rearrange motzei Shabbat so my loading them in is not preparation for after Shabbos.)

Does anyone here have a dishwasher they can recommend that would work for us?

mizle10

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 10:59 am
My dishwasher plug was purposely installed very accessibly, the outlet is inside the cabinet right next to the dishwasher. I unplug the dishwasher before shabbos.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:02 am
I'm a little nervous about posting our solution after the response I got on the refrigerator thread, but FWIW...

Our dishwashers, as with most, have a manual switch that turns the whole system on or off. I just toggle the switch off before Shabbos.

AYLOR whether opening the door of a dishwasher that is now disconnected from electricity is okay.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:10 am
Wow, thank you both! Both would be amazing solutions. I think the plug/wiring would be behind since it's built in, so I don't think I'd be able to access the plug. I wonder how to find that toggle switch!

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:17 am
Ask the salesperson. It's installed, and should look and act just like a light switch. Ours is next to the switch that operates the garbage disposal, under the sink.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:35 am
I'm going to do that today - thank you!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:44 am
I have a Whirlpool gold dishwasher. It has no Shabbos issues. But don't know if they make them anymore.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:54 am
I have a seimens integrated. When it's off, it's off. Including when the load finishes.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 11:58 am
Having your electrician put in an on/off switch under the sink is an easy solution, and means you won't be limited in your selection.

I haven't (yet) come across a list of "Sabbath mode" dishwashers but many dishwashers don't need one — this is almost certainly changing with more and more dishwashers having bells and whistles like waking up when you open the door.

There are a few dishwashers with a Sabbath mode. Here's a screen shot from a GE Profile manual:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 12:41 pm
We just got a kitchenaid. I don't think the display changes when you open it up? We had it one Shabbos so far and did put things in and out on Shabbos. I'll try to check again soon.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
We just got a kitchenaid. I don't think the display changes when you open it up? We had it one Shabbos so far and did put things in and out on Shabbos. I'll try to check again soon.

Thank you so much, that would be so helpful. I spoke with 2 kitchenaid customer service people and both said the same thing that opening the door wakes it up.

The most recent one just suggested maybe I can turn off the main switch on our electrical board if it only controls the dishwasher. Going to check that out too.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:07 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Having your electrician put in an on/off switch under the sink is an easy solution, and means you won't be limited in your selection.

I haven't (yet) come across a list of "Sabbath mode" dishwashers but many dishwashers don't need one — this is almost certainly changing with more and more dishwashers having bells and whistles like waking up when you open the door.

There are a few dishwashers with a Sabbath mode. Here's a screen shot from a GE Profile manual:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great. I am looking up GE models now, and will check out their manuals. Thank you!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:08 pm
Thank you all so much!

madys

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:14 pm
We realized after our new dishwasher was installed that it beeps everytime it's opened or closed - I put a piece of tape over the latch before shabbos so it doesn't close all the way.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 1:20 pm
So firstly a solution to the problem-

Our dishwashers are simply plugged into a power socket under the sink. Switch it off before Shabbat and voila , problem solved.

Now the answer to what I "thought" this thread was going to be about - operating a dishwasher on Shabbat. Now unfortunately as I understand it you can't do this even on a timer switch because of the noise that it makes.

However in Shemirat Shabbat. Kilchata Rav Neuwyth (apologies I can't remember how to spell his name) says you CAN use a timer switch for YOm Tov. The easiest way to do this is to have the dishwasher set to go on, and then plug in a normal Shabbat timer between the dishwasher and the wall so that it is only "on" for the duration of the cycle, or thereabouts. (it will only operate once over yom tov). Check it out in the sefer (which I don't have in front of me right now) and/or AYLOR.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:30 pm
I just open the door slightly before shabbos and don't push it in all the way after I load it up.

ETA My kids are older but little toddlers walking around could push the door in I guess

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 2:45 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
So firstly a solution to the problem-

...in Shemirat Shabbat. Kilchata Rav Neuwyth (apologies I can't remember how to spell his name) says you CAN use a timer switch for YOm Tov. The easiest way to do this is to have the dishwasher set to go on, and then plug in a normal Shabbat timer between the dishwasher and the wall so that it is only "on" for the duration of the cycle, or thereabouts. (it will only operate once over yom tov). Check it out in the sefer (which I don't have in front of me right now) and/or AYLOR.

That would be Rabbi Neuwirth. In my copy of his Shmirath Shabbath the pertinent information is on page 129 of volume 1, Chapter 12:35. Many dishwashers have a delay option — both of mine do. I'll have to ask my LOR about this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:21 pm
Thank you all! We figured out that there is one fuse that is exclusive to the dishwasher, so we will just turn off the fuse each Friday.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2016, 8:47 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I just open the door slightly before shabbos and don't push it in all the way after I load it up.

ETA My kids are older but little toddlers walking around could push the door in I guess

Same here.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:19 am
I have new KitchenAid panel front dishwashers (controls are at the top, not visible from the front). I just opened it while no cycle was running and no lights turned on.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen