Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Texting etiquette

imabima

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 7:25 am
Is texting like calling in that you assume the recipient will see/hear that you texted right away...
Or like an email in that it's safe to send at any time with the assumption that they will see it at their leisure?
Wondering if it's appropriate to send texts at times that you wouldn't expect someone to see it until they wake up or whatever or if that's rude.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 7:38 am
I would only send a text at a weird time (late at night) to someone I knew well, and knew they wouldn't mind. I might sometimes text my sister at 2 a.m., maybe if I'm in some sort of trouble and hope she is up or also just for other reasons. I know she wouldn't get woken up by it.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:04 am
I think 9 is the cut off for calls and 9:45 for texts. If I do, however, receive a text or call at that time, and I'm available, I'll answer it regardless. But hey, it's just my personal "rule." I don't expect everyone else to abide by it. Although, I have gotten texts after 11 from clients, and while I'd never feel comfortable doing that, people are free to do as they wish. That's what the silence feature of the cell phone is for!

cm

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:03 am
I always keep my phone on silent and don't care when people send things. However, I know people who keep the sounds on so they know when they get a message in case it is an emergency. So, just like not calling the house phone (remember those?) after bedtime, I don't text late at night for fear of bothering or needlessly worrying the recipient.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:26 am
don't call or text after 8 ... people need to wind down and gadgets make a lot of noise ... many people leave them on for emergencies so be kind

when somebody bothers me late at night - I respond at sunrise

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:38 am
Unless, you are having a texting conversation, ie a really quick back and forth. I feel that texting is like email, and you can send it whenever. Of course, some ppl might note the time, and wonder why you were up so late... that's one reason I won't email my mother at 3 am, I don't need her wondering why I was up so late. [plus my mother has a job where she needs her phone 24/7] On the other hand, my dad silences his phone when he goes to sleep, so even if I send him a text at 1 am he won't see it till he wakes up.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 11:00 am
Why not just ask people "how late can I text you?" the way you'd ask "how late can I call you?"

agreer

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:36 pm
I think texting is like email...but I'm not in my 20s anymore... it might depend on age.

Smile1234

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 2:30 pm
Some people do get their email on their phones with a notification just like a text...if you want to go there....

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 2:36 pm
I have no idea why people would want to sleep with their phones on their night table radiating their heads all night long, but apparently this is very popular so best not to text any later than you would make a call.

sourstix

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 2:46 pm
many people use only cell phones so they keep it on for emergencies. and they dont have a land line. so I think its normal to ask the person you text whats the latest you can text them. its like calling late at night.

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
I have no idea why people would want to sleep with their phones on their night table radiating their heads all night long, but apparently this is very popular so best not to text any later than you would make a call.

I use my cell as my alarm clock. In fact, I've downloaded various alarm clock apps to help me wake up, bc I am not a morning person.

My phone has a silent till the next alarm feature that I use at night.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 3:25 pm
I get texts during all hours of the night. My phone is on silent so it doesn't bother me. I won't text certain people past 11 because they would probably consider it a phone call.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette