Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
School psychologist

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:34 am
Is it proper for a school psychologist to work at the school her children attend? Is it proper for her to know confidential info about a fellow parent/student?

BA

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 8:37 am
a good psychologist separates between life and work even if her children attend that school

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:40 am
As a school psychologist myself, it is probably not the most ethical scenario, but there might be tuition cheshbonos. It also probably has to do with the size of the school.

debsey

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 10:47 am
There's nothing in the overall APA ethics that expressedly prohibits it, especially if an argument can be made that she is a unique commodity (for example, the only Orthodox school psychologist in the area), but the ethics will also tell you that "every effort" must be made to preserve confidentiality.

If you personally feel uncomfortable, you are well within your rights to tell the school that you don't want her involved in your daughter's case in any way, shape, manner or form. If you feel that you can't trust the hanhallah to respect your wishes, you're probably not in the right school.

Alternatively, if you do want to work with her but feel some concern, I suggest meeting with her and openly discussing your concerns and questioning her about her ability to remain objective and to maintain confidentiality.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 12:50 pm
debsey wrote:
There's nothing in the overall APA ethics that expressedly prohibits it, especially if an argument can be made that she is a unique commodity (for example, the only Orthodox school psychologist in the area), but the ethics will also tell you that "every effort" must be made to preserve confidentiality.

If you personally feel uncomfortable, you are well within your rights to tell the school that you don't want her involved in your daughter's case in any way, shape, manner or form. If you feel that you can't trust the hanhallah to respect your wishes, you're probably not in the right school.

Alternatively, if you do want to work with her but feel some concern, I suggest meeting with her and openly discussing your concerns and questioning her about her ability to remain objective and to maintain confidentiality.

Well said. As a school psychologist myself, I have some secrets that will go to the grave with me due to overlap in various schools I've worked out. It's part of the job.
But you are within your right to request a different evaluator...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics