Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
First time wearing tzitzit

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:10 pm
I have two boys. One boy is entering kindergarten and the other one is entering pre-K. First time I registered for a yeshiva school. I didn't grow up orthodox, so sorry if these following questions might seem silly. I think my boys will be wearing the tzitzit inside, how do you actually tuck it in since it's long on them. Also, what do you do with boys going to the bathroom and wearing tzitzit? My pre-K boy just recently was potty trained and I think he won't remember to lift it..I fear it's going to go in the toilet! Also, how do you convince your boy to wear tzitzit and kippa? my older one doesn't seem to mind. But my Pre-K one is more stubborn and he doesn't seem to want to wear these.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:19 pm
Many boys take some time to get used to their tzitzis and kippas in the beginning. Ask his morah to put it in his bag if he refuses to wear it so it won't get lost.
Remind him to keep his tzitzis clean when you remind him to use the bathroom.

I don't tuck them in at all when they wear polo shirts. With button down shirts, I tuck them in till the last knot. So the beged lays flat and the knots fold back up to the waistband with the strings hanging out. This also limits how low they hang.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 1:39 pm
Those are legitimate questions Smile. I had those problems to. You'll have to ask your rav about this, but I was told that the tzitis only have to be a certain amount of inches long - so I was able to cut my boys tzitis(and put the cut pieces into shamais) Their still very long, but not crazy long. When my 3 year old first got a yamuka, he didn’t want to wear it. I didn't push him and after a few days of going to school (were I left it in his briefcase) and seeing all the other boys wearing it, he wanted to wear it to. About it going in the toilet, I have that too… just keep reminding him and eventually he’ll get used to it. Also likely since hes still so young, the teacher will bring them to the bathroom and you can ask her to remind him to move them out of the way.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 2:11 pm
we tucked the beged in & pulled the strings together on either side ... then I again I had a neat sonny boy

you certainly can teach the kid to move his tzitzis to the side or over his shoulder around side of neck when peeing

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 4:49 pm
The regular tzitzit (don't know about the t-shirt kind) are attached to the beged by a doubled over square of fabric. With manicure scissors I cut the top stitching of the square, creating a pocket. The back tzitzit lived in the pockets, as did one front. The other front I showed how to take out for the tzizit bracha and then hopefully stuffed back in the pocket. Even if that didnt happen, at least the other 3 were neatly out of the way.

Definitely ask about shortening the tzitzit. There is a minimum length-find out from your rabbi what he holds that is.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 6:35 pm
The t-shirt Tzitzit come with a little pocket to put the Tzitzit inside.
At least the Sephardic ones do, don't know if the ashkenaz are made the same.
The t-shirt Tzitzit are the most comfortable ones since it's like wearing an undershirt. They don't bunch up.
As far as kippas. Does the school allow baseball caps, your pre-k boy might like it better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children