Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Soiling solutions

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 5:16 pm
Has anyone tried this and seen success for encopresis?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 07 2016, 9:01 pm
We did not follow the protocol completely, but the part that we did was still very helpful.

It is expensive, but worth it IMO.

In short: Your kid was a "holder", got constipated, and no longer has the sensation of needing to go. You need to regain the sensation by preventing the constant pressure. I.e. your child needs to go EVERY DAY.

1) Put your child on propylene glycol to soften stools

2) Do an enema to clean out the system

3) Dedicate up to an hour every day to making sure your child goes. Child sits on toilet for up to 15 minutes, followed by a suppository if he did not produce at least 1/2 cup, if still no action after 15 minutes, you do an enema.

Basically, no chance of holding in.

The younger the child the easier (less power struggles).

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 12:30 am
My child has been struggling with soiling and/or wetting issues for 2 1/2 years( since she was trained.) After tons of research, what we've been doing for the past half year is a daily dose of miralax which generally does the trick. She does have wetting relapses, which the urologist warned me about and said was normal, but soiling is almost 100% under control. I read all about enemas, but was told repeatedly that it's overkill and unnecessary. Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 1:20 am
Have you checked for underlying conditions? One child I know had this issue, and the school thought that he needed to be re-toilet trained. The pediatrician had the parents use an enema on him and put him on daily miralax for a month while they ran some tests. Turned out he had thyroid issues which were causing constipation, which were in turn leading to blockages, which then meant that his stools were "leaking" around the sides of the blockage.

End result - it took a bit of time, but once the thyroid levels were right he was able to be re-trained (with no additional medications, laxatives, etc).

Hope this helps

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
I read all about enemas, but was told repeatedly that it's overkill and unnecessary.

Disagree with this. Many times this has been going on for a while and the child is very backed up. An enema can give the child a "fresh start" without backed up constipation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics