Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Freefall by Miriam Zakon in Family First....
1  2  3  4  5  Next

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 11:45 am
anyone else really into this story? I love it! The characters are so much more real than in any of the other family first serials I read in the past.

And I was so disappointed that Annie and Abe didn't get a chance to ask Yerucham in this weeks installment. Sad

We don't hear much of the Levines and what they think of the relationship.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 11:47 am
I am really enjoying it too. I don't always go for historical fiction but its just written so well that I want to read it every week. I cant wait to see how they tie pearl harbor into the story.

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:11 pm
It's OK but I'm not feeling so much... feeling in it just yet. And I wonder how realistic the extremely short and rapid courtship is. I was surprised at how quickly that moved.

theotherone

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 2:23 pm
I love it too! Very well written and way better than the fluffy other serials that are so common.

ruchelbuckle

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 2:58 pm
Rapid? I didn't think their dating was so rapid....

the other one: don't we have similar tastes in serials? I feel like I've had discussions like this with you before!! Very Happy

I think one of the big things about this one is that, personally, I feel like you are getting some good insights into the characters. I feel that in a lot of the other serials, the characters are all the same, just with different names. (I don't feel that way about Sarah Wiederblank's charachters....Bracha Halpern is my BFF!!! And I would love for Chava Sarah from Just Between Friends to be my neighbor Very Happy )

booboo24

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 3:06 pm
Love also Sara weiderblanks work....
I had a feeling this serial was going in the direction of Pearl Harbor. I like it a lot and I usually don't like historical pieces. I'm curious to see how th relationship between Abe and Annie will play out

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 8:06 pm
The dating wasn't rapid? They had one long boardwalk shmooze, which went well but we didn't see much of it. Then there was the attempted date where she was all distressed about the letter from Moe so the date ended quickly. Then he went off to go to Moe's ceremony thing. They had another date when he came back. And then he proposed. Unless I missed something? That's a courtship?

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 8:21 pm
I LOVE this serial. Where has mimi zakon been all these years? She's such a rich, terrific writer!

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I am really enjoying it too. I don't always go for historical fiction but its just written so well that I want to read it every week. I cant wait to see how they tie pearl harbor into the story.

With Pearl Harbor and the U.S. entering the war, Abe will most likely enlist or be drafted. Maybe it that will also somehow help the father feel better about Moe having enlisted earlier.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:42 am
I love this story as well! This is the first time ever that I've felt disappointed when the chapter ends each week, and I excitedly turn to the serial when I open next week's magazine!

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:23 pm
I have a question-- I read this week's issue (the chasuna) and I didn't get why everyone (Rachel and Abe's parents) dislike Yerucham so much. Is there something that I missed at the begining of the story, in the first few chapters?

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:38 pm
I think it's that he's emotionally distant. Combined with being much more religious than they are, it's a turn-off. Though their reaction does seem a bit overdramatic, before this he seemed to be a generally respected if not warm and fuzzy person. The type you might not instantly love but not to the extent that you'd say "Do I really want my son marrying into this man's family?"

There are a lot of things about this story that I don't quite get.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:43 pm
seeker wrote:
I think it's that he's emotionally distant. Combined with being much more religious than they are, it's a turn-off. t.

Really? you think that's it? I think there must be some sort of past history that we didn't learn about (yet). I know there was a scene a few chapters ago when the Rav asked Yerucham, "What's happening with your daughter in shidduchim?" Yerucham said, "She is seeing the Levine boy." Then the Rav raised his eyebrow. Yerucham answered with a shrug, "what can I do?"

Also, there was a sentence in this weeks chapter along the lines of "Given their past history with Yerucham Freed, you would think he would be a bit more accomodating to their wishes."

okay, so there must be some past drama between them, we just didn't learn about it yet.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:50 pm
There was something a while ago about people thinking that he'd caused his wife's death by encouraging her to go out and do chessed which caused her to get sick and die or something. But I'm not sure how that related to Abe's family. It seems his grandmother knew about it but I didn't remember anything deeper than that. But I could have missed something because I lost the thread over the summer and tried to piece it together after.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Oct 09 2016, 7:54 pm
oh! bingo---there must be some connection between his wife/Annie's mother and the Levine family.

theotherone

Post Mon, Oct 10 2016, 5:09 am
I am wondering if the story is winding down or just getting started. I mean, annie got married, moe is doing well in his army pursuits. I am nervous we will open next week and see its over.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:34 am
theotherone wrote:
I am wondering if the story is winding down or just getting started. I mean, annie got married, moe is doing well in his army pursuits. I am nervous we will open next week and see its over.

It's week what, 26? More like midway in your normal 50+ week series. Nothing objectionable to make it wind up fast and the author is too professional to end it this week.
I'm sure there are some more layers.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:24 pm
I dunno, they already started advertising the next serial and the other one isn't any closer to winding down. I'm sure it's not over yet - Moe is going to get into something in the war, and Harry(?)'s just starting to move into the Freed's so there must be something up with that too - but until now it seems to have been moving very quickly with not that much detail (as I opined above regarding the courtship, though it seems debatable, I still think it was on fast-forward). So I'm not sure - it doesn't feel over but it does seem like the type of thing that's likely to wrap up too fast.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 12:56 pm
Yeah, I was wondering where they're going to fit that serial in.
The Succos Mishpacha's out if anyone has any info. I'll have to wait a bit.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Oct 13 2016, 5:36 pm
Nothing major happened in the succos edition. New plots were introduced, but they didnt include Moe or Harry.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room