Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does your child have an unusual name?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 5:59 pm
This thread reminds me of a discussion my parents had when I was kid. They were discussing interesting names and they knew someone named Raizel Draizel Chika Baba. All one person! Rolling Eyes

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:00 pm
One of my boys has an unusual name. It's a family name - named after a grandparent. There's one other person in my community (not family) with that name. My son likes his name.

yksraya

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:13 pm
I have an unusual name, and another name that is not unusual, but not common either. My sister has an unusual name too, combined with a common name.

My kids mostly have common names, with the exception of ds2 who has a name that is not unheard of, yet not so common (in my circles) in combo of a very common name.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:48 pm
I named a daughter Bina and thought it was weird but it's growing on me and now I think it's beautiful.
More names - Seryl, Charna, Masha.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:08 pm
My name Baila was not at all unusual, but fairly uncommon when I was younger, there were 2 of us in the whole school. It's made a comeback in the last ten years or so and I feel like every class has at least one baila or bailey

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:17 pm
I named my daughter Yardena. I love it.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:21 pm
I have a daughter with the middle name Vichna, and no we are not from the family of Rebbitzen Kaplan nor living in the BYBP community. Her first name is a more mainstream name, and for now we are calling her both names but she can choose to use the first name only if she prefers. I have come to love the name, and the associations with both Rebbitzen Kaplan and with the family member for whom my daughter is named. We are Chassidish, living in a predominantly Yeshivish community.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:31 pm
amother wrote:
My son's name is Shimshon. He says he doesnt know anyone else with his name, and doesnt like that he stands out as being different. He often says 'I wish you could have named me Yakov or moshe or something normal like that'.

My son is Shimshon also and he has no problem with it. It's a family name though so even though I don't love the name, I love the people with that name!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:44 pm
Some uncomon names I have heard are

Chanka slipa slapa
Slava
Chinka zlata

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
I named a daughter Bina and thought it was weird but it's growing on me and now I think it's beautiful.
More names - Seryl, Charna, Masha.

I had a school friend charny. Lovely lovely person.

Bina is a family name. When we chose names we were going between bina and her current name. Ended up with the other option.

I have a sister and a niece baila and my husband has two not such common names too.

My niece named her daughter eidel yosefa. Pronounced yoy-C-fuh. Like yosef made into a girls version or something. Very odd in our (satmar) circles. We believe that a name is the shoresh neshama amd so we dont believe in taking female names and makingnit into a male version and male into female.
Her grandmother whom she named after had asked that no-one please name after her as she was always bullied for her name and doesn't want that for any of her grandkids and yet they still give that name. Go figure.
At least they call her Eidy.

Also I have a niece Yachat. Called Yachat or Yachy. A niece Mishket. Silka called Silky (not sooo uncommon. But not common) and a niece "etya" (not the common ettel. Its etya)

mommyhood

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:07 pm
I have an unusual name and I dislike it. I get funny looks when I tell people my name because it's not at all typical in my circles. It also really bothers me that I won't have descendants named for me unless my kids change to the circles where my name is more accepted.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
I had a school friend charny. Lovely lovely person.

Bina is a family name. When we chose names we were going between bina and her current name. Ended up with the other option.

I have a sister and a niece baila and my husband has two not such common names too.

My niece named her daughter eidel yosefa. Pronounced yoy-C-fuh. Like yosef made into a girls version or something. Very odd in our (satmar) circles. We believe that a name is the shoresh neshama amd so we dont believe in taking female names and makingnit into a male version and male into female.
Her grandmother whom she named after had asked that no-one please name after her as she was always bullied for her name and doesn't want that for any of her grandkids and yet they still give that name. Go figure.
At least they call her Eidy.

Also I have a niece Yachat. Called Yachat or Yachy. A niece Mishket. Silka called Silky (not sooo uncommon. But not common) and a niece "etya" (not the common ettel. Its etya)

a real scheinberg name!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
My name is Amalia. Quite uncommon and I love my name and it's meanings.
Some of my siblings have unique names too.

what does it mean?

yksraya

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:13 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I have an unusual name and I dislike it. I get funny looks when I tell people my name because it's not at all typical in my circles. It also really bothers me that I won't have descendants named for me unless my kids change to the circles where my name is more accepted.

You can never know!!! My MIL had a grandmother with a really unusual name, have nieces with that name.
Whenever someone hears the name they right away know the kid is from DH's family. Lol

You should of course live to see mashiach so that this is not even an issue!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
My name is Amalia. Quite uncommon and I love my name and it's meanings.
Some of my siblings have unique names too.
What does it mean?
What are your siblings names?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 12:42 am
The weirdest I have heard was serach (as in serach bas asher ).
I also have family members with the name klonimus kalman.

kolhanshama

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:06 am
I don't have an unusual name (which I like) but the spelling is very unique (family name adapted from male to female). It gives both Jews and non Jews trouble and I have hated it for my entire life because no one can spell or pronounce it correctly. I had a pet bird as a child and I named it Sarah because I just wanted a boring name that everyone else had! Haha.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:34 am
I have a niece Shlomzion (in Israel)

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:35 am
We named our daughter Priva after my grandmother. I was concerned that we/she won't like the name so we added a standard middle name, but we all love the name now. And now there have been quite a few other Privas born into the family.
I have a very standard name (though hard to pronounce in secular circles) and I love the idea of unusual names.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:56 am
I love many of those names Smile

I had a little cousin Amalya who passed in the Shoah and bh a little cousin Amalia growing in Israel Smile

My husband has cousins Yiras/t, Hulda, Milka, Tzahala (not familial just given stam).
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names