Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does your child have an unusual name?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:13 am
Four of my six have names that are pretty common I think. Two of them are the only ones in their schools with the names. Perla and Nadav. I know a few Nadav's around but no other Perla's.

I have a daughter with the middle name Mazal which I never hear. She is named after my husband's grandmother.

I hated my name as a kid as I didn't know anyone with it and ppl could never pronounce it properly but I love it now and it's become pretty popular so not as mispronounced anymore :-)

Rodent

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:22 am
I don't think any of their first names are exceptionally rare though we haven't met other kids with at least half of them. Our 4th son's middle name is Yitro which is pretty rare I think.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 6:57 pm
My baby's name is Galit. My dh calls her Gallie.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:03 pm
I am going to take a name from this weeks parsha
Bela ben Ashbel

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:56 pm
I thought my son's name was special. Neither dh or I have ever known anyone with that name. Then someone in a frum Facebook group I'm in started a thread on what everyone's boys names were and no jokes, 1/3 of the responders had a son with the same name! I think it had a surge the last few years and we lucked out with timing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:09 pm
One of my daughters are Mancha, we call her Mantzy, pronounced Manssy

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:13 pm
Why is it a thing to give your child a unique name? Don't u feel bad setting ur kid to a lifetime of being teased, etc?

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:57 pm
amother wrote:
I also have family members with the name klonimus kalman.

That is a common name in my family as well. There are also a few Gella's (Gela Blima, Lea Gela, etc) a Minka Mirel and a Tziry. Are we related?

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 9:59 pm
Unique doesn't mean ugly. If is uniquely beautiful, ur kid is set for a liftetime of compliments! Just last week, I spoke to a customer who paused to tell me he had never hesrd my name before and it was pretty! I'm a little surprised by the amount of people who shared names that are unique because they named after some grandparent even tho they didn't particularly like the name. If you don't like the name, chances are your kid won't like it either. But if you love a name, the kid will probably end up loving it too! I have a unique name but tried to make parent sand in laws happy by giving their parents names so my kids have v v common first names. For middle names, my husband. Didn't let me.go too crazy either. We have a super common last name. Last week, my son thought he won the avos ubanim prize and I turned out it was a different kid witgh the same common first name and last name, arghhh!!

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 5:15 am
My daughter has a name we made up and one really typicall name.
The funny thing is that recently I have heard of many babies named similiarly to her.
Seems like that has been the experience of some imamothers.
I think that during certain times, certain hashpaot come down to the world. And since naming a child is a kind of nevua these names start coming up.
Her second name is a common name. I constantly tell her about her second name. If she chooses to change it one day I will be super supportive and not one bit insulted. That is why I gave it!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:40 am
My baby is Nechama Elisheva. I don't think there's another person with that combination in the world, but we call her just Nechama, which I thought was pretty common, but we don't know any others.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
I had a school friend charny. Lovely lovely person.

Bina is a family name. When we chose names we were going between bina and her current name. Ended up with the other option.

I have a sister and a niece baila and my husband has two not such common names too.

My niece named her daughter eidel yosefa. Pronounced yoy-C-fuh. Like yosef made into a girls version or something. Very odd in our (satmar) circles. We believe that a name is the shoresh neshama amd so we dont believe in taking female names and makingnit into a male version and male into female.
Her grandmother whom she named after had asked that no-one please name after her as she was always bullied for her name and doesn't want that for any of her grandkids and yet they still give that name. Go figure.
At least they call her Eidy.

Also I have a niece Yachat. Called Yachat or Yachy. A niece Mishket. Silka called Silky (not sooo uncommon. But not common) and a niece "etya" (not the common ettel. Its etya)

Baila is very common in chassidish circles.

rowo

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
My daughter has a name we made up and one really typicall name.
The funny thing is that recently I have heard of many babies named similiarly to her.
Seems like that has been the experience of some imamothers.
I think that during certain times, certain hashpaot come down to the world. And since naming a child is a kind of nevua these names start coming up.
Her second name is a common name. I constantly tell her about her second name. If she chooses to change it one day I will be super supportive and not one bit insulted. That is why I gave it!

Same with us, we named my daughter a name that's not unheard of, but I only knew one little girl with that name. We named her after my great grandmother.
Within the year of her birth I think there were 4 or 5 other girls born and given the same name in our not so big community.
I don't mind, I'm not about being original when naming my kids, they are all named after family members. But I think one of the other mothers is a bit annoyed, she had waited for a while to use this name.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 11:18 pm
Maya wrote:
My kid's name was normal for our circles when we named him, but is out of place now in his school/community because it's pronounced with a Chassidish havarah Smile A lot of people question us about it.

So why not give him an English name for his new environment
Very often I see that if the parent doesn't do that the boy does on his own later with less than positive results

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
The weirdest I have heard was serach (as in serach bas asher ).
I also have family members with the name klonimus kalman.

I know a serach too

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is Nechama Elisheva. I don't think there's another person with that combination in the world, but we call her just Nechama, which I thought was pretty common, but we don't know any others.

you don't know any other Nechamas?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
you don't know any other Nechamas?

I went to high school with one more than a decade ago, and we've lost touch, and it's also the name of one of the cashiers at the local makolet, but other than that, no.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 7:10 am
amother wrote:

I know someone by that name, she goes by both.

When we named our daughter Batsheva, it was an uncommon name. A few years later Rebbetzin Kanievsky was niftar. Now everyone is using it, but she's the only one in her class.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 7:25 am
My baby is nechama shira and we have loads of nechamas in our family.
We also have loads of bailas.
My sis is hinda bayla - known as both.
And freyda Chaya. Q unusual in our circles.
My niece is atara coz they like the name.
I add on a name to each of my kids names in case they don't like their name when they grow up. 😊

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 7:28 am
Iymnok wrote:
I know someone by that name, she goes by both.

When we named our daughter Batsheva, it was an uncommon name. A few years later Rebbetzin Kanievsky was niftar. Now everyone is using it, but she's the only one in her class.

Now I'm curious if the one you know IS my daughter! We started out trying to call her both but it's not happening so much anymore.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names