Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bnos Derech Yisroel Monsey
1  2  Next

amother
Brown

Post Sat, Sep 10 2016, 11:24 pm
We're moving to Monsey shortly and desperate for info on this school.

My daughters are coming from a more open minded chassidish school that's considered to be on a high level academically.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 9:02 am
Bumping it up for all who were sleeping at 1:24 last night:)

sourstix

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:36 am
I don't know the system I just know that it's chasidish with very open minded parents. The women drive. The girls wear knee socks beyond 5 yrs old. Including red. So yes its chase dish but more open minded.

it could be the parent I saw with her daughter is doing this out of school I saw her on shabbos. she was wearing a red dress and oh I just realized it wasnt her five yr old it was her 3 yr old. wearing knee socks. ok,I mixed it up. she was wearing red. ok never mind it was my mistake

Last edited by sourstix on Tue, Sep 13 2016, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

baked ziti

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 1:02 pm
BDY mom here. Yes its a more openminded school. They do not allow knee socks past nursery. The student dress code is not that different from other chasidish schools. The parent body is more openminded and truly wonderful.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 3:33 pm
sourstix wrote:
I don't know the system I just know that it's chasidish with very open minded parents. The women drive. The girls wear knee socks beyond 5 yrs old. Including red. So yes its chase dish but more open minded.

Nobody wears knee socks except Pre nursery and nursery, who can wear till Succos only.

The only open minded thing is that mothers drive and they have a regents accredited school. Otherwise pretty much chassidish as the other chassidish schools

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
Nobody wears knee socks except Pre nursery and nursery, who can wear till Succos only.

The only open minded thing is that mothers drive and they have a regents accredited school. Otherwise pretty much chassidish as the other chassidish schools

This is accurate.

losingweight

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 6:26 pm
It is a wonderful school. Heard from those who send there. And they're growing very quickly.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:

coming from a more open minded chassidish school that's considered to be on a high level academically.

if the old school was open minded vs Bnos Derech Yisroel where the administration itself is not open minded, only some perants are, than you are in for a big disappointment.
The academic level is very similar to the other chasidishe mosdo.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 5:48 am
Thanks lots to all who responded!

Just curious who runs the school?

What are the principals like?

Monsey chassidus seems to be a bit radical. Are they also part of the I can be frummer than you competition?!

My daughter is coming from a very well established, amazing school. I'm afraid it's gonna be a big letdown for her...

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 6:39 am
There's a rabbi Moscowitz and a lady Mrs. Berger who run the school. They are supposed to have decent accedemics but I doubt they are as professional as a well established Brooklyn school. The parent body is mostly people who identify as chassidish but are more open minded. For example, women drive, don't wear the shortest sheitlach and I wouldn't be surprised if most people have internet.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:17 am
They just opened a high school and the talk is that they got the best principal, teachers and curriculum advisor in Monsey. They will be regents accredited so the academic level cannot be below a specific standard.
I think they are aiming to be on a great academic level. They are new but getting there.

Chloe

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
There's a rabbi Moscowitz and a lady Mrs. Berger who run the school. They are supposed to have decent accedemics but I doubt they are as professional as a well established Brooklyn school. The parent body is mostly people who identify as chassidish but are more open minded. For example, women drive, don't wear the shortest sheitlach and I wouldn't be surprised if most people have internet.

They probably do, as do most parents in Satmar, Belz and Vizhnitz. Let's not kid ourselves.

The only difference is that BDY asks the parents to not allow children any internet access while Viznitz and Satmar just make the parents play hide and seek and get a second phone.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
They just opened a high school and the talk is that they got the best principal, teachers and curriculum advisor in Monsey. They will be regents accredited so the academic level cannot be below a specific standard.
I think they are aiming to be on a great academic level.

As I see it; Bnos Derech Yisroel will reach the academic level of Pupa school, nothing more, the only difference is that you are allowed a smartphone & a car.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:36 am
Sounds like your daughter might do much better in a school like Bais Rochel.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:47 am
OP I also took my girls out from an established school in Brooklyn and put them into Bnos Derech Yisroel.

That was when it first opened. I was extremely nervous but I wanted a Chassidish school and while I had one other option of where to send to, it wasn't academically up to par with what I wanted, so I was willing to give Bnos Derech Yisroel a try.

The change was hard for me and it took me a while to adjust. But my kids adjusted right away and they love Baruch Hashem. The school atmosphere is amazing. The girls truly get individual attention and they put in a ton of effort to please the parents and students.

The academic level the first year was nothing to write home about, I was pretty concerned. It did get better the second year, but finally this past year is when I saw the real change that they had told me about. They told me they are working their way up and I was finally seeing it happen. They opened a high school this year and I hear it is supposed to be super amazing. I am calmer now that I know they will be having regents.

The parent body is very nice. As the demand for the school gets bigger they are becoming more picky so at this point they are choosing those that are more Chassidishly inclined. The first year was not hard to get in, but at this point, with a huge demand, they are harder to get into. This is the thing with Monsey schools. Once they reach this point, they start picking and choosing, and will always choose the "frummer" ones first.
So yes, they have no issue with mother's driving. And you don't need to hide your smartphone and get a flip phone for the public. But they are pretty much establishing more and more Chassidish rules.

Overall, I am thankful and impressed with the school. No school will be perfect or exactly what I want, but they are getting there.

Good luck with your decision and your move.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
As I see it; Bnos Derech Yisroel will reach the academic level of Pupa school, nothing more, the only difference is that you are allowed a smartphone & a car.

They have already surpassed the academic level of Pupa. Wink

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
They have already surpassed the academic level of Pupa. Wink

Only because Pupa's academic level has declined since the days of Mrs. Berger... Wink

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:04 am
I'll tell you what I love about BDY:
The parent body is diverse. There are mothers who go covered and mothers with longer shaitlach and we all feel like we belong. I don't feel like I have to be frummer than I am or have more "pull" than I have to be welcome. Most schools in Monsey do not welcome you with open arms, unless you are well connected, well off, or what they consider frum enough. Here I can breath and just be wonderful self!
The school is run very efficiently, unlike many new or smaller schools that are not affiliated with a mosed.
The school is bh growing and they are improving their curriculum yearly.
When I hear people describing the school as just allowing mothers to drive and have smartphones, I don't think they are fully describing the school, so here is what I feel as a parent who actually sends there.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
Only because Pupa's academic level has declined since the days of Mrs. Berger... Wink

LOL

5S5Sr7z3

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 12:35 pm
As long as you stay on Mrs Berger's good side, you'll do okay. The academics are meh. Nothing better than any other Chassidish school. When I took my daughter out she was a full academic year behind all other schools we applied to.
The one miserable year my daughter was there, Mrs. Berger told a good friend of mine that she must cut her daughter's pony, because she looks like a monkey from the zoo. That is not okay whichever way you put it. She also told my aunt that she's the principal of a nebby little school in Monsey.
Rabbi moskowitz has close to nothing to do with the school. It's his in name only. Mrs. Berger bulldozes her way over the parents, the faculty, and the students.
Don't kid yourself that it's any better than any other Chassidish school. They let the mothers drive, that's basically the only difference.

Do your research carefully, and please don't rely only on faceless women on a chat board. Find people you can actually speak to before making a decision.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children