Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much does it COST you to work?
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 8:57 pm
I pay $900 monthly childcare expenses to be able to work part time. I don't include cleaning help as that I would need regardless. I don't have steady - I get when I need. My salary just covers my childcare expenses with nothing to spare yet I continue as I love my job.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 9:58 pm
$550/mo for childcare,
About 100/mo transportation to work.

Oh, and let's not forget every last once of my energy...

summer0808

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:08 pm
I will be paying$540 for childcare this year plus about $800 for extra cleaning help. She does laundry too!

Also, I dont have time to bargain shop and end up buying clothing in the first Jewish store when I know I could do better if I shop around. But I'm busiest right before yomim tovim!

OT, groise mamma how do you get a sem girl to iron for you? Where do you find her? I have a great cleaning lady but she refuses to iron. She claims she burnt herself!

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 10:19 pm
Guestimate $2500 month childcare
Gas $120
Car lease $300
Take out (barely able to cook with my schedule) $1000 (for both of us but if I wasn't working these hours I'd be cooking)

saw50st8

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 7:12 am
$1,000/month for daycare
$6,000/year for aftercare
$200/month commuting costs

To the people saying it doesn't pay to work - you are are looking very short term. Unless you work in a field with no growth, raises, promotions, experience and not having a gap on your resume are very important. So yes, maybe when your child is a baby it might not "pay to work" or be a small amount of money extra, but long term you are losing out a lot. That might be fine for you, but if you need the money long term, you are going to come out far behind.

ETA: I should probably add in about $10,000 for camp which I wouldn't need if I were home

Last edited by saw50st8 on Mon, Sep 12 2016, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

farm

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 2:52 pm
$1850/month childcare
$100/month gas
I buy clothes once or twice a year to replace worn out stuff. Nothing major- basic black pencil skirt, Gap body long sleeve tees for layering, and a couple of sweaters in the winter and lighter cardigans or blouses in the summer. Maybe $250/year tops. Nothing that needs dry cleaning.
I guess day camp expenses can be considered a work expense? Not sure- I have the same full time hours and pay all year round so theoretically the bigger kids could be home over the summer. So +/- $2900 each for July and for August would average out to $2333/month childcare instead of $1850.
If you need the money from a second income you really should not freak out that after the upheaval in your life, you bring home "pennies," to quote a previous poster. You have to start somewhere and allow time for your salary to increase. It would stink to enter the work force when the kids don't need the intense childcare and the household expenses are out of control (sleep away camp, GO activities, tznius teenager clothes, seminary, simchos...) and have to start at the "pennies" level then! Also, benefits like health insurance and retirement accounts are worth $ that you don't calculate in the take home pay cheshbon.

chica

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:15 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

To the people saying it doesn't pay to work - you are are looking very short term. Unless you work in a field with no growth, raises, promotions, experience and not having a gap on your resume are very important. So yes, maybe when your child is a baby it might not "pay to work" or be a small amount of money extra, but long term you are losing out a lot. That might be fine for you, but if you need the money long term, you are going to come out far behind.

I hear you. It's something I struggle with - not having a job right now and having to think about re-entering the work force in a few years.

For us, there is no option to keep our kids in school later than 4 PM (and some till 2:30) so full time help and someone driving would be imperative for the foreseeable future (at least another 12 years.) So income would be negligible until that point. In the country I live in my income taxes would be almost 50% if our household income goes up any more than it already is, so really, unless I'm making 80K plus, it's not financially feasible. We've crunched the numbers.
So for the "short term" (Ie another 12 years until my youngest is in high school) I get to raise my kids, perhaps get a part time job while they're in school, and be in the same financial boat.
Perhaps its an investment in my future vs and investment in their future?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics