Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O tzedakah

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:10 am
This is a spinoff of the tzedakah thread.
Where do you give your tzedakah. We are actually looking for recommendations of organizations. We would prefer places that don't do heavy marketing, children as collectors, lots of overhead, buying apartments for children Wink
I've looked at previous threads but curious if people have any other ideas
Thanks!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:18 am
I'm thinking of migdal ohr, matanbseterbambi- anyone familiar with these organizations? I would really like a free loan place that helps people get on their feet.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:50 am
I've been very impressed by the work done by Chai Lifeline, probably because I've unfortunately gotten a close glimpse. They've kept my BIL and SIL standing on their feet during a very painful and difficult time. No one chooses to have a sick child. The support they give families - the whole family approach - is really incredible.

DH and I also try to support the schools our children attend, and the schools we ourselves attended.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:57 am
I give when I am able to the Chicago Chesed Fund. The work they do to support families in my community with so much dignity is really unparalleled. They have gemachim, they help people find employment and they provide resources such as referrals and assistance with government programs if you qualify all without making you feel like a nebach.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:59 am
I think the Chicago fund is incredible. I don't live in Chicago though. I asked the local rabbi and he said they give money before yom tov but that's it. I guess yom tov is coming up soon... hmm....

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:59 am
I give to Masbia, because they helped me when I needed them once upon a time.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:18 am
These are the places we give on a semi regular basis:

Tomchei shabbos
Masbia
Chai Lifeline
Yad Sarah
Hatzala
Magen David Adom
Zaka
Sharsheret
Shuvu
Local shuls
Local schools
Our rabbi's chessed fund
Something for aniyim in Israel that I'm forgetting the name of

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:26 am
mha3484 wrote:
I give when I am able to the Chicago Chesed Fund. The work they do to support families in my community with so much dignity is really unparalleled. They have gemachim, they help people find employment and they provide resources such as referrals and assistance with government programs if you qualify all without making you feel like a nebach.

We give a large percentage of our tezedakah to the Chicago chessed fund.
I once was given a tour of the warehouse and I was just blown away at how much they do for the community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics