Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Send dd to school when contagious with strep?
1  2  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:13 pm
Dd is 11 years old and was just diagnosed with strep and impitaigo (sp?) on her face. She just started her medicine now, at 8 pm. She is officially contagious until tomorrow night.

She really wants to go to school tomorrow. Her arguments are:

a- The doctor said she can go because she's old enough to keep her fingers out of her mouth and off her impitaigo. (I think he's totally wrong, but whatever.)

b- She was already in school today with it. We didn't know she had anything until she came home with the spots on her face. So her class has already been exposed.

c- She has just started 6th grade and is worried that it will be hard to make up the missed work.

I don't think it's so fair to the other kids to expose them knowingly to strep, and I think other mothers might be upset if they knew. I don't plan to send her. But since she is crying, I offered to ask on here and if most people think it's okay to send her, I would reconsider. So what do you all think?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:16 pm
NO way! She does not belong going to school

Miri7

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:20 pm
She should stay home.

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:21 pm
My dd (6 y.o.) almost died due to post strep kidney failure. If you knowingly sent her to school with strep would you really want that on your head?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:25 pm
OP here- I am in agreement with you guys. I told dd nobody will side with her. She still think you're all crossing your fingers behind your backs, but this thread has removed the last doubts I had about keeping her home.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:31 pm
Please don't! Strep is awful. I've caught it a few times in the last few years as an adult and I get horribly sick when I catch it.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:37 pm
Of course not.

Nice try, kiddo.

Tell her that, as she is almost 12, this is probably not the last time that you and she will disagree and her arguments will not persuade you to change rules that are instated for health and safety.

Tell her that you are proud of her ability to argue from logic, and she should continue to study hard and become a lawyer.

Then offer to help her get whatever she might miss tomorrow.

Last edited by imasinger on Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:41 pm
I've been told by my pedthat is contagious through air, not direct contact. Also, you can tell your daughter that there may be kids who are immunosuppressed in her class and in other clases. My son is mildly immunosuppressed due to very high steroid dose that he is currently taking. You wouldn't know that he is since he looks and acts completely healthy.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 10:56 pm
No way! Just because she was in school today and exposed them to strept doesn't mean it's ok for her to go tomorrow!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:01 pm
your dd has a say in this? You told her you are going to decide by survey? Is this a joke?

um, this is a teachable moment, you don't get to potentially hurt other people because you are worried about your schoolwork, that's just too many you's in one sentence.

debbie321

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:21 am
strep can lead to a blood infection, c"v or PANDAS. whichbare dangerous. while she in on top of herself, she can unknowingly spread to other students, who may not be on top of things. going to school and spreading it is IRRESPONSIBLE on her part. My son caught strep, walking pneumonia, and many other viruses from kids whos parents decided to send their kids to school. I was Fuming. please DONT send her, you have a responsibility to othher students and parents. this is coming from someone who had to take a child to the dr too many times and miss ALOT of work due to parents thinking that it cant spread

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:22 am
I remember my DD, who attends a nut-free school, told me that "everyone" brings nuts and why can't she....I asked her how she would feel if something happened to X (a girl we know who is severely nut-allergic) because SHE brought in a nut snack.

As others have written, there can be children in school who have compromised immunity. Child cancer survivors come to mind. How would you and your DD feel if one of these children got sick because of you?

Your DD is in good company BTW.....my DD also has strep (but is no longer contagious) this week.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:41 am
If this is a technologically savvy school and is ok with it, maybe she can be FaceTime/Skype into her class?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:55 am
Chayalle wrote:
I remember my DD, who attends a nut-free school, told me that "everyone" brings nuts and why can't she....I asked her how she would feel if something happened to X (a girl we know who is severely nut-allergic) because SHE brought in a nut snack.

As others have written, there can be children in school who have compromised immunity. Child cancer survivors come to mind. How would you and your DD feel if one of these children got sick because of you?

Your DD is in good company BTW.....my DD also has strep (but is no longer contagious) this week.

I know this is off topic, but do children really bring nuts to school when the school is nut-free? I'm hyperventilating!!! My dd is HIGHLY allergic to nuts (and I think she goes to the same school as yours).

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:00 am
My doctor told me that she wouldn't tell an adult to stay home with strep, but 12 year-old, and the school under the regs of the dept of Health, I wouldn't risk it. You can tell her that if she's going to school and functioning sub par with strep, its as if not going. stay home and rest and go back tomorrow.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I know this is off topic, but do children really bring nuts to school when the school is nut-free? I'm hyperventilating!!! My dd is HIGHLY allergic to nuts (and I think she goes to the same school as yours).

I hope people aren't just flippantly doing so but it can happen by mistake. Once I was just very tired and out of coffee and not paying attention and sent my kid to a nut free school with a bag of bamba. Thankfully it was an easy catch and the teacher sent it back home with my son. It's not enough to tell the parents/ students. Teachers and staff still need to be diligent and that epi pen should always be close by.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:15 am
amother wrote:

This happened when she was in elementary school, and according to her, yes, children were not being careful about it.

If your DD is in the same school as mine, I found that the teachers were very on top of it in the younger grades, and as they got older and went to "the big BF" the teachers were not checking snacks, and the girls start thinking what's the big deal......

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:28 am
No. She should stay home.
Impatigo is still catchy even when the spots are out (more than before they come out).
She should preferably stay home until they have scabbed over.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:36 am
My DD brought home strep when she was in kindergarten.

I ended up getting it, which turned into full blown Scarlet Fever. I had to be quarantined for almost two full weeks, and it took me two months to recover. The doctors said that if I had waited even another day to get on antibiotics, it would have spread to my heart and I would have to be hospitalized.

You really, REALLY do not want to send her.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:39 am
BTW according to DD's pediatrician, you have to be on your 3rd dose of antibiotics (assuming you are taking it twice a day) before you can go back to school with strep.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics