Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Speech-language pathologists:how do you plan/avoid burnout?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:35 pm
Hi all, I've started a position where I will have 12-15 sessions back to back to back with pretty much no breaks - except 10 minutes here and there (I can't change this, so don't suggest otherwise). Those of you who have a similar schedule - what kinds of activities do you plan so you aren't completely fried at the end of the day? I know that some games are appropriate for building language and vocabulary but I can't just play games all day....on the other hand, if I drill all day I'm going to crash and burn. I'm looking for some kind of balance so that the children (mostly listening comprehension and vocabulary issues with some artic thrown in) benefit - and I can keep it fun and fresh without burning out. OT's welcome to answer as well! Thank you!

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:53 pm
I can't give you much advice for this year. But you may want to consider working with adults in the future. I am an SLP and work with adults in the subacute setting for this reason. There is a lot of turnover in regard to your caseload. The diagnosis and treatments can differ drastically between patients. There is always something new and different going on. I love the variety and fast pace!

nyc123

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 8:55 pm
Can you schedule some group sessions instead of individual or do a group session here and there to boost carryover? Maybe you could also do some push-in sessions in the classroom.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 9:42 pm
nyc123 wrote:
Can you schedule some group sessions instead of individual or do a group session here and there to boost carryover? Maybe you could also do some push-in sessions in the classroom.

Based on the mandates, I've scheduled all the group sessions I'm allowed. Most kids are entitled to a group and an individual sessions. Thank you for answering!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:20 pm
That's an insane schedule! Is this in NY? I would speak to your supervisor. This needs to be split with another SLP. I know ASHA set guidelines regarding caseload numbers. Some state licensure boards have also been putting caps on caseloads. The school can not have you servicing beyond a certain amount. You should give ASHA a call and find out if this is ethical. I can't see how differentiating the activities would prevent burnt out when you have numbers of this magnitude you need to service. I'm so sorry, this must be so stressful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics